Chapter 10

One thing I didn't anticipate was the things I had to cut off from my life once I made the bold step to leave home. For instance I had to block all the numbers in my contact mainly because I didn't have the means to change my number, I had to delete most of my social media apps in case anyone wanted to track me or something. Not to mention the paranoia that followed me when I walked around the street. I don't think I regret leaving the comfort of my home but there are many things I left behind like enough clothes and things for my entertainment that working for Mrs Bessy gave me an excitement as I let my mind wander to the things I could do for myself now.

I thought of buying new tee shirts and sweatpants from the thrift store and maybe a new pair of shoes—my list hasn't gone that far yet.

"Thank you, dear. You can take a break now," Bessy said as I helped her take a seat on the armchair in the living room. My job entails me helping around with manual work like fixings and lifting, sometimes her leg doesn't permit her to move around freely so I assist her in moving around and reaching for things. It looks easy enough for the pay and I'm glad to be doing something valuable with my time.

It helps that Bessy is a sweet old lady. I never got the chance to interact with my grandparents since they cut us off from their lives when my mother got pregnant so it was warming to receive compliments from her, and appraisals. She didn't ask me a lot of questions like I expected, only the basic things like my age and food I preferred, what sport I like and stuff like that.

"Help yourself to any of the leftovers in the fridge. Do you like fried chicken rice? Poppy loves them, I think she had some left from yesterday. You can heat it up before she comes back," She winked at me before shooing me away to have time for myself.

The clock on the wall read thirty minutes past six in the evening, that makes it a lot of hours since I've been here. Shortly after Mr Richardson left in the morning I did my best to avoid Penelope and her sour mood until she left for work around twelve pm. Most of my day was spent arranging some boxes Bessy had lying around in the house in the attic, assisting her to her room and back, helping her with the TV dish because the thing kept glitching. Much as the exterior of the home looked old, the inside was the same with a lot of vintage trinkets and appliances. I'd say it made the house feel more like a home.

After heating the food which was delicious Mrs Bessy called me to have a chat. "How are you, Daniel?" The way she looked at me as asked the question gave me the feeling that she knew something.

"I'm fine Mrs Bessy."

"Just Bess is fine," she held my hand, "Richardson told me what happened so I want to make sure you're really doing well. I don't know your past or what you're running away from but it's always better to talk about it and seek advice."

"There's nothing I'm running away from. It's... complicated."

"Are you in trouble with bad people?" She asked, concerned.

"No, no, I'm not. It's just home...it wasn't the place for me anymore," I whispered. "I honestly didn't have a good life with my mother. I guess it took a day for everything to just explode and spiral out of control. But I'm fine Bess, I really am."

No, I'm not.

"What happened?" The golden question.

"I'd rather not say," there was an edge to my tone, "I'm afraid I'm not strong enough to open up about it yet."

"So stubborn like my little Poppy, always thinking she can handle everything on her own. Young kids these days. Well I'm glad you're here working for me, consider me like your grandmamma. And I'll be ready to hear your story, hopefully soon."