Chapter 24 || The ending; Part one ||

Sometimes I wished I had a friend to confide in. Someone who would hold my hand and tell me everything will be alright, someone who would give me a shoulder to lean on. Friends are important and while the spirit within me is a friend I need other friends.

Ever since I saw the missed call from my mother my thoughts have been all over the place. One thing was certain, I had to leave.

Three days had passed and a new week had started. It came with more cold air and promises of a new month around the corner. During those three days I had a schedule. I would wake up, glance at my phone in anticipation of another call to serve as a sign, have morning devotion with Richardson, go to Mrs Bessy's place, and return home.

Notice the lack of Penelope in my routine. After the day at the amusement park I avoided having conversations with her. It just felt like we have two different lives with our own problems to face. Plus forming more attachments will be a stumbling block in my leaving. I haven't even told Richardson who by the way has been acting off about my decision.

My reasons for saying Richardson was behaving oddly stemmed from the mysterious calls he kept getting. And they were timed, early in the morning when he thought I was asleep and late in the night when all the lights were off. He always spoke in a hushed voice too and from the little I could hear it was heavily laced with sadness and regret.

It was just the previous night that I felt a strong conviction to leave on Friday. The plan had formed in my head.

Currently the evening is chilly, I held onto my jacket to protect me from the winds that formed goosebumps on my skin. An image of my already packed bag with everything I would need formed in my head. I had packed it as soon as I decided that I would be leaving soon.

The time on my phone read exactly five o'clock as I was waiting for Penelope to return from the grocery store. Despite my nervousness I tried to find a good time to talk to her when she returned from school but luck wasn't on my side. Bessy had me occupied with one work or the other leaving me no chance to do so.

Suddenly the object in my pocket felt heavier, reminding me of the conversation I had with her recently.

"The week is almost over, and I was wondering if I could have my pay earlier," it took everything in me not to stutter.

The old woman looked worriedly at me, "Is everything alright? Why the sudden rush?"

"I just... Something urgent came up and I need the money."

"But—"

"Please," I pleaded to which she gave in and handed me my weekly pay making all my plans set.

I spotted Penelope at the entrance of the house with two bags in her hands. Bessy had pushed money into her hands, requesting her to go to the grocery shop quickly because they had nothing to make for dinner. Apparently they were expecting a guest.