Chapter 17

Upon reaching home I expected a reaction from Mr Richardson. When we were at Mrs Bessy's home I assumed he was trying to be polite by not looking at me, in fact he barely acknowledged my presence. After thanking Penelope and Nathaniel profusely, adding their numbers into my contact list-much to Penelope's insistence and speaking to Bessy briefly, explaining that I'd be fine we left their place. The ride home was a silent one, none of us uttered a word even though I could see he wanted to.

Once in a while he would tighten his grip on the steering wheel, open his mouth and close it within a second and sigh frustratedly. After a few attempts he stopped and resorted to playing the car radio to fill the awkward silence.

I wondered if he was angry, disappointed or just blaming himself for what happened to me. I knew I had to tell him what happened sooner or later.

Now we both stood in the living room staring at each other. Me with shame and him with a mixture of disappointment and... sadness?

"I-" he paused, "Nathaniel told us you accepted God into your life again."

"Yes," I played with the band on my wrist, remembering when Penelope placed it around it before I left. She was extremely excited to give me one of their youth group bands as a welcome to the right side gift as she said. Even though I knew I still had much to learn and unlearn she was encouraging me every step of the way. "I know it looked like I never would but erm... something happened, more like I had an encounter and I couldn't deny it as much as I tried because I realized in the past I've had the same intervention but I never really thought much about it, if you can understand. This time I...I want to give it all I've got, I want to understand everything and I'm sorry about-"

"It's alright," he smiled, again with sadness in his eyes but I didn't know why. "I'm just glad you're okay. I feel it was partially my fault for how I spoke to you this morning. At least I got to meet you through this ordeal and help you even though it was little and for a brief time." I was confused by his last sentence

"No-"

Again he interrupted me saying, "I know you were angry because of my reaction and ran off again. I should've been more careful in the situation so I also apologize. I just wish from now on you'll make wise choices."

I nodded, "I will, I'll do my best Mr Richardson. And I know you don't want me to but I have to apologize about creating a fuss today and anytime that I have in the past because of my poor choices. I thought I was with the right people and the whole situation back then spiraled out of control."

"Apology accepted. Why don't you get some rest, after this hectic day you need it. I'm too tired to cook so you can order something."

I chuckled, "No need. I can easily whip something up. With my mother usually absent I've learned to cook for myself."