Chapter 25 || The ending part two||

Psalm 35:8

Let destruction come upon him unawares,

And let the net which he hid catch himself;

Into that very destruction let him fall.

•••

There's a popular saying that goes, 'don't count your eggs before they're hatched' or this other one that says, 'don't put all your eggs in one basket.'

The latter happened to Tobias as he was dragged away with his hands cuffed towards the police station.

Five hours ago...

Daniel was on the run again and just like the last time he didn't have any particular destination in mind, only that he wanted to be far away from Richardson. It wasn't sensible of him though to run away like that after already planning to go home in the first place.

Call it rebellion but Daniel wanted to be the one to come to that decision. He didn't want it to look like he was forced to do it.

The address sent to him by Tobias was a quiet place by the docks of one lake he knew nothing of. According to his google map he was three minutes walk away from the place.

That's when the saying, 'don't count your eggs before they hatch' comes into play.

Daniel was just a minute walk from the place. All it took were a few strides, the sight of the package at the dock was visible at the moment when he was forcefully grabbed from behind. A rough hand covered his mouth with a cloth laced with chloroform while the other steadied him from falling as the drug slowly took away his consciousness.

He heard a familiar voice before he passed out.

"Are you sure we're doing the right thing?"

Redemption. An act of atoning for a fault or mistake, or the state of being redeemed. For certain people this is obtained in various ways nonetheless for two boys their approach was different.

The stars shone brightly in the sky under a little shed miles away from civilization and just by the outskirts of a little town. Tyrone and Carlos stood in front of an unconscious Daniel contemplating if they actually made the right decision considering how it was in the spur of the moment.

"Should we wake him up?" Carlos asked, turning his head to the side as he made no sign of moving even after an hour had passed.

"I'm more worried about him waking up to find us. What are we going to tell him? We basically kidnapped him."

Carlos scoffed. "It was for his own good. If anything he'd be thanking us for saving him a life sentence in a rusty prison cell."

Tyrone rubbed his face. "Yeah... he's a good kid. He doesn't deserve whatever Tobias is dragging him into. If only he didn't come into this town in the first place."

Carlos sat on the dusty ground. The shed itself is partially completed, without painting, a concrete cemented floor and an open roof. "Tobias is just insane. He thought I wouldn't find out his plans of running away with his prize money on his missing head. He was just using us because he had more to gain."

"Why didn't you tell Micheal?"

"Michael is driven by his want for a better life to see anything else. I don't care about those guys anymore. I'm going to follow Daniel now," Carlos said seriously.

Tyrone burst out laughing. "Are you for real? You're going to follow him where? Man you must be losing it."

"This is our redemption Ty, can't you see? I'm leaving that fucked up life behind and following Daniel with whatever God he's into. Can't you see how his life changed in the blink of an eye? Even as he's sleeping here he's so peaceful as if nothing can harm him. What do you call that?"