Chapter 27: Escape the Mind 2/3

Y/n POV

"So we all have a place like this then?" Hunter asks as we walk along the path, passing memory puddles as we go.

"Yeah," I respond before stopping next to a puddle on my right.

"What's that memory?" Hunter took a few steps back and looked down at the puddle.

I think for a moment before grabbing his hand and walking towards the puddle.

"I'll show you," I smiled at him before dragging us both into the puddle.

We landed awkwardly as the puddle was on the side of the room so we stood up, I squeezed his hand once and let go.

The room we were in had plain beige walls, deep brown wood flooring, and a table with four chairs on the side of the room, leading directly to the rickety kitchen.

A little me appeared from a wall and walked towards the table holding a small sloppy cake, followed by a dog.

"Oh look!" I pointed towards the dog.
"That's Minxie" I gave a sad smile.

Minxie is a pug.

The child me set the sloppy cake on the table, almost dropping it as it was set on the table.

"Your young self is so cute," Hunter smiled at me.

"I know," I smirked at him.

The young me sat at a chair and just sat there, with a sad look on their face.

"Why were you sad?" Hunter asked me.

"This day was my birthday, I was turning 9" I said.

Minxie took to jumping up on a chair and sitting next to me on the chair. Minxie looked at my young self and suddenly went ahead first into the cake.

"Minxie!" My young self said giggling.

"Minxie barely ate any of the cake, I know she was just trying to cheer me up," I said with a chuckle.

"Thanks Minxie," my young self said with a few years in their eyes.

"Minxie cheered me up that day, and I was happy because of her."

An adult female walked in and started scolding the dog.

"Y/n how many times have I told you to keep the dog out of the kitchen?" My mother scolded my young self.

"Well we should go," I turned around.

"Alright," Hunter said.

We went over to the wall and went through it, again landing awkwardly since the puddle was on the ground.

A few minutes later

"We're getting deeper in," Hunter said looking around.

Memory puddles started coming in far and few as the sky deeply darkened overhead.

"Yeah, there seems to be something up there aswell," I said pointing at a small river some ways away.

"Let's go check it out," Hunter said as he sped up a bit toward the river.

As we neares the river I could see that only a few feet on the other side of the river the world was disappeared and on the edge crumpling into the darkness. The river was about 10 feet wide but no deeper than 4 feet in the middle.

Something was tugging at me, telling me I had to go in.

"I'm going into the river," I looked at Hunter and didn't even wait for his response before stepping into the river.

It was cold, and was at the same time. It wasn't going too fast and with every step into it I could feel it telling me to go deeper. I heard rumbling from my right.

"AGHH" I screamed as a large mass of water came out of nowhere and pushed me down stream.

"Y/N!" I heard Hunter yell as I was suddenly falling.

A few minutes later

A sat up as I suddenly awakened. I quickly started shivering.

"Hunter?" I called out.

Nothing.

I looked up, there was ice, and farther up there was water, but it just stopped. A waterfall, but it froze at the bottom and didn't touch the ground.

"That's strange," I mumbled looking up.

I looked around me. I was on a path, and then feet out on each side of the path the world disappeared and crumbled on the edges. I stood and snapped my fingers.

"That's better," I sighed and could see my breath. I had magically put on warmer clothes.

I walked down the path for a minute before I swear I saw movement.

"Inner me?" I asked aloud.

The figure ran ahead so quickly I almost didn't see it, it went behind a tree. I quickly ran to the tree and there was no one behind it.

"Strange," the ground shook and I grabbed onto the tree.

There was a loud crack from farther down the path, there was a clearing. There was crying.

I made my way down the path until it stopped right in front of the clearing.

"Inner me?" I called out, no response.

There was still crying, coming from the middle of the clearing. I cautiously made my way to the middle, there was a small open spot, and in the middle, there was me, crying. Underneath me there was a puddle, my inner self was sitting in a puddle.

"Are you okay?" I asked my innerself.

The crying stopped and my inner self said nothing but looked at me, the tears still on my innerself's face were glowing blue.

My innerself stood and walked towards me, it was really creepy to see myself right in front of me.

"Y/N!!" I heard Hunters voice in the distance.

I opened my mouth to yell back to him but my innerself put their hand on my face before I could. They took their hand off and put their finger to their lip telling me to be quiet. They put their hand back to their side and gave me a smile, not creepy, but knowing.

"Y/N?!" Hunter yelled out again with more concern.

I looked my innerself in the eyes and nodded, staying quiet.

We just stood there looking at each other for what felt like forever.

I heard some rustling behind me.

"Y/n there you-" Hunter stops seeing both of us. "Y/n?" He points to me and then my innerself and back to me again wondering what the hecks going on.

-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-

A/n: don't worry I'll wrap it up next chapter, and it'll also start the next episode (I'm not sure if I'm going from episode 19 or 20 so bare with me!)

Published: 24/7/23

Word count: 1,072