Chapter 22

Being the president of the club, let alone alpha of the pack had Reece in a complete whirlwind. He had his revenge all planned out and he was yet to communicate with the club about it, though he was sure the plan would have been passed on like Chinese whispers to everybody. Since the day of taking over the club, Reece had spent most of his time out at the clubhouse. But he was yet to call a meeting as the new president, that was something he was a little nervous about, but he refused to show it. Reece had done what he didn't really want to do. He had completely shut off his humanity, at least during the day when he was around everyone else. Of a night though, when he was alone he allowed himself to crack into a million pieces. Reece had notified work and put himself on stress leave, after losing his house and her. He had managed to get a month off work and paid in full while he worked out everything, from trying to get another house to working out how to be a good president and of course alpha. He was yet to be a proper alpha, since the traditional way was to be welcomed via a ceremony and trained. But since Reece was the best there was, it didn't appear that he needed training. Which he was glad about. But it was also the case of when he would give the whole leadership up, because he didn't want any of it. He was happy to serve under someone else, as long as they were respectful and took the club in a better direction compared to what Jeffrey was doing. Reece never thought he would make a good president or alpha, he was too motivated by revenge to ever be one he would call decent. And for the time being, he was fine with that.

But as it seemed that Reece was fine during the day, the truth was, even if he had turned off his humanity during business hours, he was a train wreck and he was spiralling faster than anything. He never thought losing a girlfriend would tear him apart like this, but he figured it was because she was his mate and he had fallen in love with her. She had been the best thing that ever happened to him and his biggest regret. He didn't regret her one bit, he regretted that he didn't protect her as much as he should have.

Though he tried to hide it, most thought they could see Reece circling the drain, but they also weren't too sure. He had been hard to read. Reece preferred it like that and thought it was good being able to switch off his humanity for a while. But with what Reece was going through, he couldn't turn it off permanently. The ones closest to him could see just how much of a wreck he was, especially his father. Every night Boyd got to see and hear him, since Reece didn't have a place to stay at and the real estate was actually doing a piss poor effort to find him anything, he was still staying with his father. Then Boyd would update his brothers and it would become obvious to them when coming face to face with Reece. The only other person who could really see it was Luke. Luke was still the acting vice president of the club and so he had been stuck to Reece like glue, for several reasons: he didn't want to be demoted and Luke was worried. Yes it had been years since the pair of them were actually friends and yes for a very long time they hated each other, but since Tracey was attacked the first time to present, Luke had changed. Something clicked in him the night he got hammered and tried to pick-up Tracey over the phone, the same night Reece came over and had a go at him. That night, he started to swallow his pride and with every new day he got to see just how wrong he was.

How Reece was no favourite of his father's because if he was, Reece wouldn't have ever been treated the way he was, so unfairly. Luke could also see that Reece's life was far from easy or perfect, Reece had it pretty fucking rough and even if he was trying to be the best he could, he was not doing okay at all. Then Luke remembered what it was like to be mates with Reece and he actually missed it, unlike the so-called 'best friend' relationship he had with Ryan and a few others. Reece's friendship, it was something of importance to Luke again and he was trying his best to show that to Reece. He was trying to patch and repair the little things between each other and Reece was too fucked to pick at it. He had more important things to worry about, Luke was the last on his long list.