6. The Invitation

Don't forget to vote and comment!

Saying I was surprised at my assistant waiting at the end of the hallway in the morning for me to join her in the cabin, was an understatement

As soon as I reached the end of the hall, she had her every day formal polite smile pasted on her face, no traces of the disaster she had the previous day.

"Good morning, sir." She greeted me. I expected her tone to be rather... gravey from crying or screaming- whatever option she chose to cope up with.

"Morning, Ms. Rudraksh. I thought you'll be on leave until the end of this month?" I asked her, wary of her reaction. Even if her honeymoon plans were now ruined, I predicted she would like to take this month's time to cope up with her emotions.

"Since the reason of taking leave had decided to find an easier escape, I thought I might as well join back." She shrugged.

I assessed her calm expressions aa I tried to fathom the reason of her willingly coming back to work. Did she fear I might cut hrr paycheck?

"You know I would pay you this month's salary even if you avail your leave, right?" I asked her, rather than wondering myself.

"I certainly do, sir. It's just that..." She paused. "I would prefer working over overthinking. Anyday."

A slow smile crept up on my face. This woman is as messed up as me. I remember the time period after having my heartbroken...

Shaking my head in an attempt to physically shove my thoughts away, I concentrated on the wonder woman in front of me. I wonder how mumma will feel meeting my assistant.

"My mother asked you to dinner. Will you be okay to join us at the Palace on Sunday?" I asked, refusing to beat around the bush.

It's not like I was asking her on a date or taking her home with me to introduce to my parents as my prospective other half. She was my assistant of two years, a really strong woman and on my mother's guest list for the upcoming weekend.

Vaani's eyes practically widened at my question as she fumbled around with her thoughts.

"Like your mother? Rani sa? Like Mrs. Sanskriti Rathore?" She rambled her questions.

I chuckled before nodding my head. People often had a fan moment around my mother. I wasn't surprised at my assistant's jumbled thoughts.

"Yes, Ms. Rudraksh. My mother." I chuckled out.

"So, I take your answer to be positive?" I half-teased her. She squealed lightly before rambling on.

"Ofcourse, silly!"

A moment or two later she realised what she did. Recomposing her posture, she apologized for her frankness and cleared her throat to compose a better answer.