17. The Emotional Outburst

Oh! Jaise ki humein pata hi nahi Vaani kya kahegi.

Sahi mein. Nahi pata.

I blinked

I blinked. Once. Twice. Thrice.

"Huh?" I asked. There's no way he said what I heard.

"I asked if you could..." He gulped. "If you could marry me?" He repeated.

"Before you could react violently.." He said, which I was going to. "Please listen to me." He requested. I nodded my head asking him to continue.

"I-" He paused to sigh. "I met the lawyer today, as you know. And joked about how my mother asked me to get married to my assistant." He looked at my face to measure my reaction and I made sure to give him nothing.

"She actually.. thought it was a good idea." He told me. At this point of time, I was furious.

"That's absolutely absurd, Mr. Rathore. To think I have been betrayed and left at the mandap, I would let you walk all over me! Is. just. not. done! Just because I had one big failure in romance does not means I'll never have a chance aga-" He cut me off.

"I don't know where you are going, Vaani, but that's not what this is about." He cut me off.

"You just said your lawyer suggested that I am a good idea! Why? Because I would be desperate enough to leave away the clutches of all those people who are condemning me for my work ethics?! Who are back out in the cafeteria, whispering about how it was ultimately me who served Aman on a silver platter to my sister?!" I kept rambling, my seat long forgotten.

"That's not how it is done, Mr. Rathore. They think I have more than a boss- employee relationship with you given that I have been on this position for more than a year?! As if I haven't given my sweat and tears to this company, too. As if my work ethics has nothing to do with it?" And I went on and on, until I broke down.

Until, I finally broke down. After a week of disaster of emotions bubbling up inside me, I cried. Right in front of my boss.

It was nothing pretty. My sobs were wrecking, messy and made all my liner flow down my cheeks. I sobbed and sobbed and sobbed while my back faced my boss.

I don't know how long it took but Mr. Rathore gave me the space to cry until I couldn't anymore. He didn't hurdle me, he didn't panic and he definitely didn't mind.

By the time my sobs turned into whimpers, I saw a box of tissues beside me. My boss held the box and respected me enough to not look down at me at my downfall. He kept his eyes trailed out of his window as I picked a few tissue papers out of the box and wiped my face clean. I had no mirrors, no phone screens to look at. Therefore, I wiped it all clean.

I looking at my tissue paper, when I heard him clear his threat.

"Sorry." I muttered. "I didn't mean to burst off." I admitted.

"It's okay. I would have been astonished and sent you back to Jupiter had you been handling this with the same calmness you showed at your wedding." He told me. I chuckled. Pushing me back to my chair, he kneeler infront of me.

My boss. In a business suit that's probably much more than ny own savings, kneeling down infront of me.

"I don't know who you were talking about, the people in the cafeteria, but they don't know shit about what you have been through. Therefore, their perspective should not affect you anyhow." He told me as he looked deep into my soul. "But if you're genuinely hurt, you can always file an anonymous complaint against them. You have that right as an employee of Arundhati. Hmm?" He asked me.

I nodded my head and tried looking away from his intense gaze. Never had I ever looked at this man for so long, and now that I am, it's stirring butterflies somewhere deep inside my body.

Mr. Rathore didn't want me to look away, or so I guess. He held my chin softly between his thumb and his index finger and turned my face back at him.

"As far as what has already been between us, it was completely ethical. Completely professional. You have given your best to the company. Let no one make you believe otherwise. There's a reason they are still stuck at the five figures they are being paid and you're getting a good seven figures." He told me. I nodded my head.

"And there's nothing to be embarrassed of. Breaking down is okay. As long as you're breaking down in front of the right person. I mean, come on, I am the most right person you can ever find!" I rolled my eyes at his assertion.

"Thank you." I muttered, sincerely. He cleared his throat and clutched my hands on my lap.

"When I said we think you're the right person... That's not because of what happened a week earlier. That was because you know everything about my situation. Right from Aarohi to Samaira.. you know it all. You would always understand the situation. Moreover, I trust you." He told me.

"I might even think twice about trusting my security term, but I can never think about not trusting you, Vaani. If you get into a contract with me, I don't have to sleep with an eye open about possibly having a traitor inside the palace. And you're the most amazing person I could do this with." He squeezed my hand. "The tenure won't seem like a prison sentence if you'll be the one doing it." He added.

"Above all, Aarohi trusts you. She hasn't slept for more than a few hours since the last time you put her to sleep. You're the only one who comforts her." He told me. "Got it?" He asked me.

I nodded my head. I do understand. Trust is a huge thing when it comes to the position Rathore family is in. And having their trust is a huge accomplishment.

"I won't lie. It's going to be difficult. Media would be involved. You'll have to resign from your post, due to security reasons as well as fraternization policies of the company. We'll be lying to everybody around us, to make sure there are no slip ups. Acting, lies, ploys... Everything would be involved. But if you're the one beside me, I'll have little less to worry about." He continued.

"I am not asking you to answer me right at the moment. But, I am asking you to not reject the idea straightway. Please do consider it, will you?" He asked me.

I nodded, yet again.

 A good number of comments for the next chapter?