11. Calm and Catastrophe

Don't forget to vote and comment!

Calm.

Serene.

Content.

The little human I know nothing about was the epitome of calmness in my arms. My heart, wasn't anything different from the little girl in my arms.

I never knew these little guys can scream so loud! And that, there cries had to be heart wrenching.

I wasn't here to pacify the royal baby. Or get my boss his tea while he wasn't on the clock. Sticking to my professionalism, I was here to get a few signatures from the crown prince for the upcoming race.

But the loud cries echoing in the hall way, had me shut my ears with a wince. I could only imagine what my boss had been through if he shared a room with the baby the entire night before.

'Ek cup chai please, Vaani!' The parting words of my boss on the call earlier, echoed in my mind. He did sound disdain.

For the sake of humanity, I traced my steps towards the kitchen with the help of a helper in the palace. Making a tea according to Mr. Rathore's liking, I moved towards his room, now with a cup of tea on a tray and the file long forgotten.

Earning the permission to come in after three subsequent knocks, I entered the chaos my boss and the baby in the queen'd arm, probably made of the room. Unused but ripped diapers, soft toys and nibs were scattered around the room.

As soon as Mr. Rathore's dark circled and tired gaze struck on the cup in my hand, he sprinted to grab it like his life depended on the cup of tea.

His words of gratitude put me in an awkward position of embarrassment. The last thing I expected to hear today was how he could kiss me for a cup of tea!

The cries and wail continued as the baby drew my attention. She was in pain.

I had no idea I would step out of my forever formal zone and hold onto the precious toddler. With minimal hair, golden tops in each ear and pink cotton frock, the baby was the epitome of cuteness. What pricked me were her tears.

Grabbing her from the queen, I rocked her around as I babbled around all the non-sense that knocked on my mouth. I literally had no filter at the moment.

I wonder whose little girl she was and why were the royals babysitting the toddler. As much as I know, none of the members have a kid this young.

Even the youngest princess, Kiara Rathore, daughter of Abhiraaj Singh Rathore (Adyansh's uncle) was in her teens now.

Deciding to not ponder much about the little girl's parental whereabouts, I rather concentrated on the task at hand- making sure the baby was comfortable so I could keep her down and bring the files to be approved and signed.

My heart clenched at the sight of this little angle sleeping in my arms. I don't know why, I feel really very attracted to this young soul. The fact that I'll have to leave her here with my boss who was clearly not able to handle her, was devastating. I really hope her parents pick her up super soon.

Putting her in the wooden crib, I tip toed out of the room and into my boss's chamber's sitting area.

Searching for my bag, I silently passed on the files to Mr. Rathore, who was in deep thoughts by now.

Clearing my throat, I asked him to sign the files after rechecking the details. He nodded and concentrated on the task at hand, the race and the upcoming fashion week.

"Er-" I rubbed my chin, revisiting my intentions to catch his attention.

"Yes?" He politely asked.

"If you don't mind me asking, umm, who's daughter is that?" I asked him as I pointed my thumb towards his bedroom.

He contemplated for a moment before answering, "My.. late best friend's." He answered. His answered had been reluctant and his eyes tight around the edges. He was absolutely lying. But I had no rights to call him out on the fact. If he does not want to share about her parents, I have no rights to force the truth out of him.

"Okay, sir." I stood up. "I'll take my leave then."

Shaking hands in departure, I walked myself out of the palace.

Taking the rest of the day off, I had firmly decided to not let anyone spoil this evening for me. Little did I know, the hurricane of mood dampening, determination resolving activities weren't done with me yet.

Humming to Kishore Kumar on my phone, I focused on applying the pretty pink pearl shade on my toe nails.

My phone rang on the coffee table making me tsk. The screen displayed an unknown number. I wondered who it might be. But then, in my line of profession, clients rather contact me directly than going through the lengthy process of reaching out the reception for an appointment with the Rathore.

"Hello?" I answer into the phone as I put the phone between my shoulder and my ear.

"Hello? V-Vaani?"

I froze at the familiar voice of my sister. My silence gave away my identity.

"V-Vaani, please don't hang up! Please listen to me! Please let me explain!" She sobbed into the phone.

"You should have taken this initiative before I was getting onto the Mandap, Navya." My tone was clipped. And even heavier than intended.

"I swear I wanted to tell you. Please believe me, di." She cried out. I clenched my eyes shut.

"That's the problem, Navya. I don't. I don't believe you anymore. And I won't in the future, too." I gritted out.

"I am sorry, di! I wouldn't have gone with Aman if I wasn't pregnant with his child, di! I would have let him marry you." She cried out.

I never knew heartbreak could be so unbearable.

"You mean to say, you would have still let me marry Aman after he had been in a sexual relationship with you, had there not been a child in the equation?"

It was unbelievable to understand Navya' mentality at this instance. It seemed like Navya is not my little sister who had been raised with me in the same damn household, with the same damn upbringing as me.

Without giving her another chance to speak, I hung up and blocked the number as I heaved heavy breathes.

My sister was pregnant. With my ex-fiance.

I really really want to update daily! But kya karun? Goals kabhi complete hote hi nahi :(

Like 400+ readers on every chapter but 50 comments nahi complete hote?

It really disappoints me.