13. Finding Solace

*sighs* Got only 19 comments on last chapter :(

Driving through the silent lanes late in the disastrous evening, I entered the sanctuary I found peace in

On the top of the hill sat a secluded piece of land- free of love spots, free of drunk and high teenagers and free of any tobacco spots.

The blanket of bright stars and the cool breeze of wind did wonders to my chaotic heart. My eyebrows furrowed when I saw another occupant at my secret spot today.

Barely a few meters away stood a large white SUV with a man leaning against its hood. I wonder if it's even safe to step out of the car at this instant.

Turning the headlights of my car off, I carried my phone with me and tip toed to the intruder. Switching the flashlight of my phone on, I saw the man squinting at the unexpected illumination.

My eyes widened at the familiar face of my boss. Switching the flashlight off, I was ready for any kind of reprimandation.

"How in the world did you find my secret place?" I questioned my pay-cheque signer.

"I was aimlessly driving. Found this place. Didn't knew you had bought this property. You should definitely put the sign of private property out there." He recommended in all seriousness.

"It isn't my personal property, silly!" I rolled my eyes before I could even comprehend who I was talking to.

"Then how come it's your secret place?" He asks me, folding his arms to his chest.

"Because I found it first and I call dibs on it." I explained him. I don't even know how he has lived on this earth without knowing the concept of secret places.

A strange calmness descended around us. My boss shifted a bit to his right giving me some space to lean against his car, too. Silently taking the space, I contemplated my life- my past, my present and what I think about my future.

Work has been my escape for the past two days. But today, with Mr. Rathore's absence, I had plenty of time to get out of my cabin and mingle with my colleagues.

The colleagues, who I then, found to be gossiping behind my back about my failed wedding. About how I used to- may I quote unquote- "show my relationship off" and how it was actually all lies. Some found it entertaining, some found it a subject to pity upon.

As much as I wanted to put them in place, I couldn't. Not this time. Even though it wasn't my mistake my groom ran away, it was my sister's. Me trying to defend myself would lead them to dig into this matter.

With my sister flaunting her Elopement on social media so freely, and maybe soon her baby bump too, I don't want people to find out a new topic to gossip about. It would be too embarrassing for me to come to work then.

There is no way I'll compromise with my respect. But I can't afford to not have a stable pay cheque as good as this too. The house, the wedding and the honeymoon had left a huge dent on my account. As much as I want to stomp ahead and ask for the love birds to pay every dime of what I have spent, I can't.

I don't know where they are or where they would be in the future. And with a baby on the way, it would be too inhumane of me to ask them to pay such a large amount of money.

As much as I hate them, I can't hate the baby. It had nothing to do with it's parents' mistake.

But I can't let them enjoy on my hard earn too, can I?! This was too puzzling.

"Why did you want solace?" I heard my boss ask. I stood there silently for a few seconds, contemplating if I should even answer the question.

"Remember my sister Navya?" I asked him quietly. He hummed in reply.

"She and Aman got married. Posted pictures on social media with huge grins and lovely captions." I told him. My tone was a lot bitter than I talk in. I chewed around my cuticles now.

"They eloped?" He asked in genuine surprise. I nodded my head in positive.

"Assholes." He muttered under hid breathe. I sighed.

"Navya had the audacity to call me, today. She said she wouldn't have let Aman run away or ran away herself had she not been pregnant." I licked my lips. They were suddenly parched. God.

"Fuck. That's.." He had no words to describe how messed up it was.

"I know." I replied quietly as I assessed my now destroyed finger nails.

"Why are you here? If you don't mind me asking." I ask him as gazed at the twinkling city lights in front of me. A breathe of fair contemplation passed him too.

"Remember Aarohi?" He asked about the toddler I met this afternoon. I nodded my head with a faint smile.

"I lied to you about her parents." He admitted. "I know." I replied.

"How did you know?" He asked me. "Your eyes tighten when you lie." I pointed around his eyes.

"Why did you lie? You could have put me in my place if you wanted. It was your personal affair, I had no rights to mendel anyhow." I ask him.

"It's not like I don't want you to know. It's just that..." He muttered a silent curse under his breathe.

"I am still trying to come in terms with the reality. It's difficult for me." He told me. My eyebrows furrowed in confusion.

"What do you mean?" I ask him.

"Aarohi is... my daughter. Mine and my ex-girlfriend's, I mean."

My eyes widened at the revelation. Now that's what you call as chaos, too.

"I had no idea about her existence until yester night. The visitor during the dinner? It was Harsh, Samaira's old neighbour, who had been trying to get in touch with me to handover Aarohi." He told me.

"Where's Samaira then? Why isn't she sharing this piece of essential information?" I asked him. His eyes glossed at my question.

"She's no more. Cancer got her good." He managed to answer.

I don't know what took over me but I hesitantly rubbed his back. Hugging was a far affair for now, but I think he needs some physical touch.

God. This is a huge chaos.

Goals: 50+ comments and 85+ votes

Toodles.

Don't forget to vote and comment!