19. The Ifs and Buts

Even though you've not completed the goals:

At times, life really throws some fast balls at you

At times, life really throws some fast balls at you. Hard and fast ones. And expects you to either hit it off or duck the ball without a prior warning.

That's what my life at this moment has become. Life has been busy throwing hard and fast balls with no ways to expect them. They are either hitting me on my face or I am being able to duck them away. Anything, but hitting back at the ball.

As the car rolled down on the charcoal coated roads of Jaipur and towards the hospital, an awkward wave of silence filled in the car.

After the fiasco where my daughter asked if my assistant is her mumma right in front of my entire family.

Vaani had no idea about how to react except giving everybody an awkward smile.

"I am sorry. I really didn't want to make it awkward for you." I muttered, breaking the lingering silence in the car.

"It's okay. I don't blame you." She answered as she pecked my daughter's head as Aarohi broke into a fit of cough, yet again.

"How long has she been coughing for?" Vaani asks me as she rubs on Aarohi's back.

"Yesternight." I answered. "It was absolutely scarce. An hour before I called you, she broke into these.. louder and frequent ones." I admitted.

Vaani nodded her head in acknowledgement as the car halted infront of the hospital.

Ofcourse, I had changed my pediatrician to a more experienced and more mature one. A doctor whose eyes won't shine at the fact that my assistant is single, as of now.

As soon as we reached the ER, the doctor I dialled earlier welcomed us, not with open arms but open curtains to the emergency bed.

"A grave sound of cough and slight fever for last 24 hours or so. Am I right?" He asked, re-ensuring what he has been already reported, as he laid my cranky baby on the bed.

"Yes. She has been crying a lot due to the cough." I told him. He nodded his head in acknowledgement.

"It seems normal. A common cold. Might be due to not having sufficient water. Is she interested in candies?" He asked us.

I looked at Vaani while my assistant looked back at me, having no idea about her interests.

"If yes, I can prescribe some toddler friendly lozenges. If you want to confirm with the babysitter, please do." He promoted us, as if the baby sitter knew her longer than us.

I nodded and excused myself, dialling the number who could actually answer the question. Harsh Bhaskar.

"Am I disturbing you, by any chance?" I asked into the phone after exchanging a few words of greetings.

"Absolutely not. How may I help you?" He answered.

"Does Aarohi like candies?" I asked him, almost ashamed.