20. The Ultimate Nupital

Happy Dusshera, people!

Sitting in front of my vanity mirror, cladded in a red anarkali, this idea of getting married to the crown prince was far from my ultimate goal of getting married, at all

But then, the day I was actually in my dream attire, in my dream destination with my dream groom, everything had turned into a nightmare.

A knock on my room's door indicated the arrival of my baarat.

The baarat that actually consisted of my groom, his brother and his security personnel. Well, it was still more than the bride side, anyways.

"It's time, V. Are you still sure?" Trisha asked me softly as she squeezed my shoulder. I looked up into her eyes through the mirror. It had a happy glint this time, unlike last time.

"I am, T. I love him." I lied through my teeth. A statement I was going to parrot around from this day onwards until I can't anymore.

"I don't know why you guys have to hurry this wedding. The crown prince could have had a grand wedding!" She wondered out loud. Her super curly marvelous hair moved everytime she shook her head. At times, I actually wish to have them, too.

"Weddings on a whim actually last better, T." I joked to make it seem normal. But the heaviness on my heart, the fear in my blood and the nervousness about inevitable in my head was far from being normal.

"Guys! The lawyer is here." We heard Wahaj call out. Squeezing Trisha's hand on my shoulder, I got up to unlock the door.

Stepping out of my bedroom and into the drawing room, I tried my best to appear confident.

The men stood up in my honour as Adyansh Singh Rathore came by my side

"Vaani, this is Mr. Kapil Sharma. He's a former registrar and now excels in making prenups. He is the one who framed our prenup too." Adyansh introduced as I shook hand with the described registrar.

"Prenup? What for?" Trisha asked in confusion. My eyes widened slightly before I composed myself to cover up.

"A prenup is natural these days, T. I really hope it doesn't happen, but by any chance if we decide to part our ways in future, we both will have a sense of safety when a prenup is already signed." I tried my best to cover up. To my relief, Trisha nodded her head in understanding, even though an expression of reluctance still remained plastered over her face.

Trisha has already been my sister from another mister, my soul mate. And lying to her feels like shit. I, therefore, decide I'll disclose all the tit bits of information to her after a few days.

Taking a seat beside Adyansh, we listen intently as Mr. Sharma reads out all the clauses and consequences of the prenup, skipping the pieces that may lead to Trisha being in any kind of space of reluctance.

I contemplated for a second before I signed my name on the government stamp papers followed by Adyansh Singh Rathore.

Trisha along with Wahaj and Vedansh Singh Rathore signed thr papers too. I wondered if Adyansh has shared about the contract with his brother or if he was another blind man in our little coy of love and marriage.

"Congratulations, Addy. I am really happy you could finally find love like papa and me." Vedansh hugged his brother, sending a pang to my heart.

I wondered what I felt was jealousy at the absence of a healthy relationship with my sibling or the guilt of misleading yet another man who has placed his trust upon us.

Adyansh's eyes met mine for a moment, displaying the same emotions as mine. He was equally tormented at the web of lies we are building as a base of yet another important societal institution, marriage.

I gulped and diverted my eyes to Trisha who looked at me with her eyebrows furrowed. I knew she knew that there was something wrong in this situation. But I knew, she'll keep mum until we are alone.

"I'll change and come back, guys." I forced a smiled at the two Rathore men who nodded their head in acknowledgement, once we were through with the pictures Vedansh Singh Rathore forced us to take as a memory.

Trisha, wordlessly, followed my lead into my room and shut the door behind her. She rested on the door, folded her hands to hef chest and commanded me, "spill."

I gulped but shared everything, nonetheless. My best friend's expression changed animatedly into furious once as I kept progressing about the story of whatever had been happening.

"I feel for his daughter, I really do, Vaani. But that does not mean you'll pick your costume of knight in shining armour and jump into the battle field." She lashed out. I opened my mouth to justify but her expression said it all- she does not want me to utter a word.

"Getting married to a man who makes no promises about any kind of relationship in the future? Lying to everybody around you? While being in the centre of media's eyes? You guys must be really out of your minds, Vaani Rudraksh!" She gritted out.

"Rathore." I mumbled out.

"For a year! Doesn't even makes sense to even change your surname." She countered.

"We are going to keep it under the wraps, T." I told her. "We are not announcing the marriage in the media. I have already resigned from my position of assistant."

My best friend could not be more furious than what she is at the moment.

A short one kyuki festive season mein phone kya hota hai?

Don't forget to vote and comment!