7. The Rathores

Don't forget to vote and comment!

Life isn't as colorful as I claimed it to be

Being stood up on the aisle by your long term boyfriend, being betrayed by your sibling and later finding out that they wanted nothing more than to mug you is heart wrenching.

But life isn't entire black and white either. There are always grey spots reserved for you.

My grey spot was an invitation from my idol, the queen herself.

Sanskriti Rathore had been a youth icon back in my teens. She still pertains to be a prime source of inspiration for hundreds.

As I paired my cotton kurti-palazzo set with oxidized silver jewelry, my hands froze at the sight of my engagement ring. It had been a nothing magnificent- a mere plain gold band with a tiny ruby in the middle, but it meant a lot to me in the past.

I wonder how Navya would have felt when Aman proposed to me. Did she resent me? How come I never knew what my little sister felt about my boyfriend? Was she such a good actor? Or was I rather ignorant?

Had she come to me with her true feelings, I would have readily sacrificed my feelings for her. But she chose the other way- the option of betrayal.

Breaking the reverie of thoughts, my phone rang.

Wahaj calling...

It displayed. My eyes widened at the sight of time. I was already seventeen minutes late, no wonder he had to call.

Sprinting towards my kitchen, I rechecked the valves and electrical appliances. Sprinting towards the door, I slipped into my sandals and picked up the keys and my purse. Locking the door behind me, I ran across the corridor of the staff quarters and down to the black Rolls Royce with a royal symbol awaiting me.

If not protocol, the palace was at a walking distance from the staff quarters. Therefore, the car and escort was a nose crinkling matter for me. It was overwhelming for me but a term of normalcy for the residents of palace.

As the car halted in front of the palace, Wahaj rounded the car to open my door.

"Thank you." I uttered, nervously. "They are good people, Vaani. They won't eat you." Wahaj teased me, sensing my nerves. I smiled at him and moved towards the main door.

Scrolling through my phone, I texted my boss.

I am here. Any protocols to be followed to enter the palace or should I just ring the bell?
06:04 pm

I waited as my boss took his sweet time to type the message.

There are no door bells in palaces, Ms. Rudraksh.
06:06 pm

I bit my lips in embarrassment.

The security will clear you once you come in through the main door. I'll come down to receive you.
06:07 pm

The message chimed on my screen.

Walking through the humongous palatial door, I went through the electronic security machines and manual checks before I actually got to enter the main veranda.

Now, don't get me wrong. I have a great sense of professionalism but today, I was forced to see my boss in a different light altogether. Standing in a pair of grey baggy sweats and a black body fitting t-shirt, Adyansh Singh Rathore was a sight for sore eyes. His custom tailored suits did no justice to the well built body he was gifted with. A serene welcoming smile was plastered on his face as he welcomed me.

It would have been easy if he, like any other man, would have tried to pass his time either scrolling through his phone or have a borderline hostile attitude to the guest. The crowned prince of Jaipur, however, had been raised in a different mannerism all-together. He showered all his attention on me with a bright smile as he walked towards me with his left hand dangling in his pocket.

I, equally, returned back the enthusiasm as I greeted him.

"I hope it wasn't a hard drive here." He teased me. He was stark opposite to the man that grumps in the morning and bosses around the office. He was warm, welcoming,jolly and the epitome of perfection at the royal palace, this moment.

"I had to drive for the entirety of four minutes! You can guess how exhausting that was." I replied with a small smile, myself. Smiling, these days, was an exhausting task. Yet, at this moment, my smile was genuine.

He chuckled at me playing along. "Please come in. My family is waiting for you."

He guided me through the pristine halls of the royal palace- a phenomenal combination of modern and traditional decors lined my way. We walked through another huge door and into the sitting area.

Three pairs of eyes glued to my figurine as I entered just behind Adyansh. I froze under their scrutiny, wondering if I had done something wrong. They were, after all, the royal family of Jaipur. They read through people like they were mere pages and I was scared if they read through my failed destiny too. The last thing I need is, pity stares.

The motherly figurine of Sanskriti Rathore entered through another door before she chastely, broke the silent spell of the room.

"Stop making the lady uncomfortable!" She snapped at them before coming towards me with a bright smile.

"Hi, Vaani! So glad you accepted the invitation." She wrapped me in a warm hug before I could reply.

"I would be a fool not to, Rani saa." I managed to mutter out. The ambrosial smell of coconut and sandalwood enveloped around her royal figurine.

"Drop the formalities, Vaani. Mumma knows you have a lady crush on he- ouch!" My boss yelped when his sister-in-law pinched his arm.

"Who's she Ady? My devrani (sister-in-law)?" She asked with her eyes carrying a humorous glint. My cheeks reddened before I shook my head in denial.

"Prisha ke muh mein ghee shakkar!" The king, himself, called out behind her. "Par iss bandar se kaun shaadi karega?"

(May Prisha be true. But who'll ever marry this monkey?)

"Bas! Behave, people. Before I step down to make you behave." Sanskriti Rathore called out.

"Ab main bolu? Ya koi aur baaki hai?" Adyansh rolled his eyes at his chaotic family.

(May I speak, now?)

"Vaani, this is my mumma, papa, bhai and bhabhi. Everyone, this is Vaani Rudraksh, my assistant." He introduced.

"So, boss x assistant trope?" Prisha Rathore chimed in.

"Prisha, no ice creams for you tonight." My boss's mother scolded her daughter-in-law. Prisha ran after her mother-in-law, coercing her to deny the decree passed.

"This, is my family." My boss spoke with a hint of smile on his face.

Sorry for the delay

Sorry for the delay. Had been in a writer's block for a while. I had a clear plot of the story but framing words were difficult.

Target: 50 comments and 50 votes!