Vol. 1-5: I get a new racing buddy

ANNABETH

⋆⁺₊⋆ ☀︎ ⋆⁺₊⋆

I'm not sure what made Tempest run off like that, but I decided not to think about it so much.

I was a little preoccupied with Percy. It's not a secret I don't react well to, er, Cyclopes. It's not a secret that they're monsters that eat and kill heroes, and that we don't have them at camp. Ever. So you can imagine how people treated Percy now that he had a Cyclops brother.

I never expected Poseidon to claim Tyson, though. I mean, he's a monster. A baby Cyclops, by the looks of him. He talks and acts like an eight-year-old despite being the size of a football player. Percy seems to be doing his best, but it's obvious he's embarrassed. He's no longer Percy Jackson, the guy who recovered Zeus's master bolt. He's "that guy with a monster brother".

"He's not my real brother!" Percy protested whenever Tyson wasn't around. "He's more like a half-brother on the monstrous side of the family. Like... a half-brother twice removed, or something."

Nobody bought it.

I'll admit; I felt bad for him. Whether or not I like Tyson, Percy's one of my closest friends. It's not his fault his dad got moony-eyed for some nature spirit.

So, I came up with the idea for both of us to team up for the chariot race to get our minds off our problems. We were both angry about Tantalus, and we didn't know how to save Thalia tree. We had no other way to fix our problems, so we may as well distract ourselves from them. After all, my mom, Athena, had invented the chariot, and Percy's dad had created horses. Together we would own that track.

One morning Percy and I were sitting by the canoe lake sketching chariot designs when some jokers from Aphrodite's cabin walked by and asked Percy if he needed to borrow some eyeliner for his eye... "Oh sorry, eyes."

I glared at them as they walked away. I turned to Percy and muttered, "Just ignore them, Percy. It isn't your fault you have a monster for a brother."

"He's not my brother!" Percy snapped. "And he's not a monster, either!"

I raised my eyebrows. "Hey, don't get mad at me! And technically, he is a monster."

"Well you gave him permission to enter the camp."

I frowned. Percy's saying that like it's my fault Tyson exists. "Because it was the only way to save your life! I mean... I'm sorry, Percy, I didn't expect Poseidon to claim him. Cyclopes are the most deceitful, treacherous-"

"He is not! What have you got against Cyclopes, anyway?"

I felt my ears getting hot. I mean, really, now he wants to switch up? And he didn't understand anything. "Just forget it. Now, the axle for this chariot-"

"You're treating him like he's this horrible thing," Percy said. "He saved my life."

I couldn't help how angry I felt. I threw down my pencil and stood. "Then maybe you should design a chariot with him."

"Maybe I should."

"Fine!"

"Fine!"