Vol. 2.5-5: Tempest is envious

ANNABETH

⋆⁺₊⋆ ☀︎ ⋆⁺₊⋆

I slammed a wad of cash on the GameStop counter, scaring the green-haired worker out of his wits. "Final Fantasy 10. Where is it?"

"Uh- Buh- For what console?"

"PlayStation 2!"

He scurried off into the back. I hadn't been able to find the game in the normal section, and was prepared to fight for this guy to go look for it in the back, but evidently, I didn't need to do that. He already got the gist. Maybe it was the knife carelessly concealed behind my jacket, or perhaps he just had a sixth sense that told him I don't mess around. Either way is fine with me.

He ran back out, holding the exact game I needed. He counted through the cash, finding it was sufficient for the price. "You have some leftover. You want a new controller?"

"What's the best one I can get with what's leftover?"

He handed me a shiny purple one and I took it before running back home, praying I had beaten Tempest.

I ran down the street, absolutely barreling through everything. My training, as it turns out, came in handy for this. I could dodge cars, trash cans, children, even a large (fairly evil) dog. I saw my house in the distance, and a small figure running straight for it.

"NO!"

I heard her shouting from the other end and we both picked up speed, running for the house. I could see her more clearly, a bag in her hand. I made it to the lawn first, racing to the house, but suddenly tripped. Looking down, I saw a ghostly hand.

"You bitch!" I yelped as Tempest laughed. I picked up a rock, carefully calculating my throw. At the perfect time, I clocked Tempest's ankle and she growled defiantly as she tripped, flying into the yard. I cheered with glee as I hurled myself over the porch railing, getting inside first. She came in just after me, both of us laughing.

"What the heck is going on?" Dad asked, looking up from his airplane magazine.

"Girly things," Tempest answered, walking up the stairs.

I nodded, following her. "Just girly things."

We entered my room, laughing quietly to ourselves. We sat next to each other on my bed, presenting our presents- our very, very late birthday presents.

"Happy birthday," Tempest said.

"Happy birthday," I replied. We dug through our bags, not even having wrapped everything up. I didn't know where this bag was from but my hand landed around a book and I yanked it out, finding an architecture book entirely focused on the ancient Greco-Roman style. Further inside the box I found an antique little doll of a Greek warrior. It had some chips in it, and a smell like a thrift store (dusty and old), but it was definitely one of the coolest things I now owned.

"Oh, this is awesome!" I grinned, putting the thrifted Greek doll on my desk, right next to my pen holder.

"No, this is," Tempest gleamed, holding up her new game and remote. "You were listening to me when I rambled about Final Fantasy?"