Vol. 3-19: Percy is a very good friend

ANNABETH

⋆⁺₊⋆ ☀︎ ⋆⁺₊⋆

One day. Tempest blew up Mount St. Helens one day ago.

I sat with Percy in the main room of the Big House, now that we'd finished telling Chiron what had happened. He just did his usual sigh and went to go tell the camp to continue getting prepared for an attack. Something about how Percy and I needed to stay here and relax for a bit. But there's no way I could relax without knowing what had happened to Tempest.

The fire crackled in front of me, blasting my face with heat. It wasn't even comparable to the heat of the volcano, though. Percy was laying on the floor, having what he called "floor time". I guess it de-stresses him?

"You kissed her."

I didn't have it in me to blush or get flustered. "Yeah."

"Why?"

"Why do you think?" I sighed, watching the flame dance. I wondered if flames like these danced on Tempest's skin before killing her.

He rose his legs to the ceiling and started clacking them together. "I didn't know you liked her."

"Everyone else told me it was obvious."

"But I knew she liked you."

I turned to look at him. I really hate it when people blurt things out that are revolutionary and continue doing non-revolutionary things after saying them. "What?"

"It was painfully obvious, y'know," Percy told me. "She's been disgustingly in love with you for like, ever."

"Why didn't you tell me?"

"We thought you knew and didn't like her back."

"We?!"

"Yeah! We talk about it like, all the time."

I stood up and towered over Percy, which made his smile quickly wipe away, and his legs slammed back down in the floor. "You just waited for me to basically admit it right before she died?!"

"Well, again, we didn't know you-"

"WHO IS WE?!"

Percy scrambled to his feet. "Uh- Buh- Me, Thalia, Grover, Tyson-"

"TYSON?!"

"N-not Tyson. I lied. I didn't say that." I must've been pretty angry or something, because Percy's shoulders got all tight and scrunchy and he kind of cowered. "We can be calm..."

I sat back down on the floor, defeated. Percy took a minute before sitting down next to me. "Do... you... want to talk about it?"

I shrugged. "What is there to talk about?"

Percy shifted. "Well, it's kind of hard not to talk about things like that. Does anyone else know?"

"I only mentioned it to Silena," I muttered. "Briefly. On New Year's. Then Tempest came to live with us, and I never told anyone else."