Vol. 1-19: Annabeth tries to be eaten by demon vultures

TEMPEST

⋆⁺₊⋆ ☀︎ ⋆⁺₊⋆

I could barely make out the island ahead of us- just a dark spot in the mist. The island of the Sirens, Annabeth had explained. I wondered if their music would even work on me. I didn't think it would, since the whole point is to lure people to the Sirens to devour and, well, kill them. Not sure what would happen if they ate a ghost. Maybe acid reflux, or diarrhea. It would be sooooo fun to give someone diarrhea [Annabeth, go away! It's MY turn to narrate!].

"I want you to do me a favor," Annabeth said, but I think she was talking to Percy. "The Sirens... we'll be in range of their singing soon."

"No problem," Percy assured her. "We can just stop up our ears. There's a big tub of candle wax below deck-"

"I want to hear them."

I stared at her. "Maybe you're not as smart as I thought."

She glared at me. "They say the Sirens sing the truth about what you desire. They tell you things about yourself you didn't even realize. That's what's so enchanting. If you survive... you become wiser. I want to hear them. How often will I get that chance?"

I rolled my eyes. "Fine. If you want to die, I won't interfere."

She told me her plan. Reluctantly, I helped her get ready.

As soon as the rocky coastline of the island came into view, Percy ordered one of the ropes to wrap around Annabeth's waist, tying her to the foremast.

"Don't untie me," she said, "no matter what happens or how much I plead. I'll want to go straight over the edge and drown myself."

"Are you trying to tempt me?" Percy replied. I snickered.

Annabeth deadpanned, "Ha-ha."

Percy promised to keep her safe. Then I did too, I guess since I did want to keep her safe. Percy then stuffed his ears with wax lumps and handed me some. I guess I couldn't say, By the way, I'm dead so the song won't work! so I slapped the earwax in my ears.

Annabeth nodded sarcastically, letting me know the earplugs were a real fashion statement. I flipped her off and Percy made a face as he turned to the wheel.

As we approached the island, jagged rocks loomed out of the fog. Percy willed the Queen Anne's Revenge to skirt around them. If we sailed any closer, those rocks would shred our hull like blender blades.

I glanced back. At first, Annabeth seemed totally normal. Then she got a puzzled look on her face. Her eyes widened. She strained against the ropes. She called my name- I could tell just from reading her lips.

Her expression was clear: She had to get out. This was life or death. I had to let her out of the ropes right now. She seemed so miserable as she thrashed about, and I made myself turn away.

Percy urged the ship to go faster.

I still couldn't see much of the island- just mist and rocks- but floating in the water were pieces of wood and fiberglass, the wreckage of old ships, even some flotation cushions from airplanes.