Vol. 3-36: ...

ANNABETH

⋆⁺₊⋆ ☀︎ ⋆⁺₊⋆

I screamed as loud as I could, the acid in my lungs making the force rip me straight in half. I watched as Tempest fell, tumbling further into the woods until I lost sight of her.

"Tempest!" I screamed. She didn't answer me. A spear in her chest, a poisonous scimitar in her leg, and a flaming arrow in her skull, straight through her eye. Why couldn't I stop it? I could barely move. My tears and the acid were clogging my vision.

She died. And the last thing she did was save me.

Behind me, something howled. A wall of darkness slammed into Kampê, sending the monster sideways. And Mrs. O'Leary was standing over me, snarling and snapping at Kampê.

"Good girl!" said a familiar voice. Daedalus was fighting his way out of the Labyrinth, slashing down enemies left and right as he made his way toward me. Next to him was someone else- a familiar giant, much taller than the Laistrygonians, with a hundred rippling arms, each holding a huge chunk of rock.

"Briares!" Tyson cried in wonder.

"Hail, little brother!" Briares bellowed. "Stand firm!"

And as Mrs. O'Leary leaped out of the way, the Hundred-Handed One launched a volley of boulders at Kampê. The rocks seemed to enlarge as they left Briares's hands. There were so many, it looked like half the earth had learned to fly. BOOOOOM!

Where Kampê had stood a moment before was a mountain of boulders, almost as tall as Zeus's Fist. The only sign that the monster had ever existed were two green sword points sticking through the cracks.

"Daedalus!" I screamed. He pulled me to my feet. "Daedalus, she- The-"

"What happened?" He asked me, confused.

"She died!" I screamed, shaking my head. My tears made my whole face wet. "She- The-"

A cheer went up from the campers, but our enemies weren't done yet. One of the dracaenae yelled, "Ssssslay them! Kill them all or Kronossss will flay you alive!"

They don't know, I thought, looking around at my friends. Nobody saw it. Nobody saw the arrow, the spear, the scimitar, the acid, the monster. They didn't see it. They didn't see her roll down the hill. They didn't see her save me. They didn't see any of it.

The giants surged forward in a last desperate attempt. One surprised Chiron with a glancing blow to the back legs, and he stumbled and fell. Six giants cried in glee and rushed forward.

"No!" I screamed, but I was too far away to help.

Then it happened. Grover opened his mouth, and the most horrible sound I'd ever heard came out. It was like a brass trumpet magnified a thousand times- the sound of pure fear.

As one, the forces of Kronos dropped their weapons and ran for their lives. The giants trampled the dracaenae trying to get into the Labyrinth first. Telekhines and hellhounds and enemy half-bloods scrambled after them. The tunnel rumbled shut, and the battle was over. The clearing was quiet except for the fires burning in the woods, and the cries of the wounded.