13.

I walk with Varys in the dark courtyard of Winterfell, the night sky sweeping over us.

"I swear to you, princess. This secret will be safe, not even my little birds will hear it." He says, I let out a breath and nod. Odanno walks a step behind me, listening in on the master of whispers.

"Have you noticed it? The shift in the queen?" My voice is quiet as the breeze that blows through the North.

"Her rising need for bloodlust? Yes, I have." We walk through the main gates to watch the tree line. My heart swells with longing for Tormund's return, his trip with Beric to check in on House Umber taking longer than expected.

"She expects the great houses to bend the knee without question." I turn to meet Varys's eyes, his bore into mine. "She cannot slaughter them all when they refuse, it will start a greater war." Steps come from our right, I turn to see Tormund, Beric, and the men of the Night's Watch stumble toward us. Tormund walks to me, placing a hand on my face and searching every inch of it with his wild eyes.

"The dead men, they've gotten past the wall. They've made it to the North." He says, breathing heavy as he leans into me. I look to Varys with fear in my eyes.

"Find Sansa, now." I say, he does not question me as he moves back into Winterfell. I lead Tormund inside, sitting him in one of the empty chairs within our bed chamber, one of the handmaidens brings a pale of water and a rag. I dip the cloth into the bucket and step closer, he loosely holds the back of my legs as I stand between his own and wipe the dirt from the wound on his face.

"They were everywhere. They killed everyone within that house, even that little boy who leads it." Tormund tells me, his voice soft as he closes his eyes. The memory likely replays in his mind, his body tense as I lean into him. Once his face is clean once more, I press a kiss to his lips. He pulls me tight against him, his head slumps against my chest as I wrap my arms around his neck, gently stroking my hand through his hair.

"We will stop them, I know we will." I say, he lets out a breath that tickles against my skin.

"I will not allow anything to happen to you, princess." There's a knock on the door before it creaks open, Varys stands in the doorway.

"I have found Lady Sansa." He says, Tormund stands as Varys watches closely. He towers over me, placing one last kiss on my brow before walking to stand beside the door. Sansa enters the quiet room, Odanno following after her, as Varys pulls the door shut. He takes the spot on the other side of the door and Tormund nods once to him, the two of them likely listening for footsteps outside, as Sansa and I take a seat across from one another. Odanno stands behind me, a hand placed on the back of my chair.

"The army of the dead has arrived in the North." I tell her, her eyes widen in shock. "They have attacked House Umber, slain all who resided inside." Sansa places a hand over mine on the table beside us, the realization of our great danger settling in.

"How soon will they arrive?" She asks, I shake my head.

"Too soon." Sansa and I meet eyes once more, Odanno steps forward.

"Daenerys will use this victory against the dead's army as a ploy to force House Stark into submission." He says, Varys nods from beside the door.

"I agree. She knows the North will not bend the knee, she will not save them out of the goodness of her heart. She will do this only to gain a hold on your people." Varys says, Sansa looks back to me in shock.

"You do not support her in this?" She asks, I slowly shake my head.

"The North was an independent kingdom for hundreds of years. They were allies of House Targaryen, things only turned for the worse when they finally bent the knee." I say, I squeeze Sansa's hand in my own. "Daenerys will not rest until the North is her's, Jon will do nothing but help her. You know this." Her eyes falter, she bows her head in one slow nod. "You must hold your own against her. You must not falter in your faith."

"House Stark runs through both of our veins, I would like to make an ally of you Rhaenyra. And your own council." Sansa says, allowing a small smile to pass through. "Perhaps even a friend." I nod, Odanno gives me one sharp bow of the head in agreement. I extend my hand to her as I stand, she rises from her own seat and locks my arm in her own.

"Friends, then." I say, a smile growing on my own face. Varys watches with keen eyes as House Stark and House Targaryen stand joined before him, realization settling in on his face.

...

I walk into the council room beside Sansa, the reason for this meeting not spoken to either of us. Odanno and Varys remain steps behind us, Tormund stands waiting beside my chair. I spot the betrayer immediately when we enter, Sansa's hand moving to rest on my arm. Jaime Lannister meets my eyes, he does not let go of them as I take my place beside Sansa. Varys and Odanno settle in beside me, Tormund carefully watches Jamie.

"Cersi has lied to us, all of us. She will not send her army to fight in this great war." Jaime says, Daenerys's eyes fall to me, I meet her own and do not back down. "I will not break another oath, I will fight beside you."

"And how do you we know you were not sent to betray us?" Jon says, Brienne of Tarth steps forward.

"I can vouch for him. Jaime Lannister saved my life more than once, he lost his hand just to protect me." She says, I stand from the table and look down at the kingslayer.

"You will fight beside us, but make one move to betray us and I will spill your blood myself." I say, I feel Tormund move to stand behind me. He rests a hand on my back as he stares with death in his eyes at the Lannister before us. Without another word, I walk from the room with the Giant's Bane on my heels.

...

I stand before Rhaegal, his heavy breathes pouring across my skin. I place a hand on his snout, his body rumbles against it as he settles into me. Two arms wrap around my waist, I lean back into Tormund as my hand continues to stroke the dragon's snout. Tormund rests his head on top of mine, placing the occasional kiss atop my hair. I watch as Viserion's babies tuck under her wing, moving to their mother to nurse.

"You know I will stand beside you through all of this." He says, I let out a breath and close my eyes.

"What about Jon?" I ask, he shakes his head.

"I have sworn my oath, sworn my sword to you, Nyra. I know Jon Snow, love will not blind him. He will do what is right. He is your brother, Rhaenyra, just as Sansa and Arya are his sisters. Jon Snow will fight for his family before anything else, he will fight for the good of Westeros no matter the cost." I turn to see Tormund, Rhaegal nudging at my feet, and shock covers my face. His hair and beard have been neatly trimmed, his wildling garb replaced by the handsome black armor of House Targaryen. A smile grows on my face as he grins.

"I felt if I will be supporting House Targaryen and its ally in the north, I should look the part." Tormund says, I watch as Rhaegal leans over me to sniff Tormund's head and give him a gentle nudge before I press my lips to his.