21.

I stand within the war tent as the Targaryen army begins to form their lines outside, the shoreline far below us. The dragons stir outside the tent, restless to take to the sky once more.

"According to my little birds, their ships plan to land atop the shore just below us, the open land we now sit on is where they planned to make camp." Varys say, pointing on the map to where our army lies. I look to Rhaegar; Tormund and I having decided our son and heir to the throne is old enough, trained well enough by his father to face his first battle.

"As their Commander, I will lead the army from below, we will slaughter any rouge soldiers who manage to make it to shore." Tormund tells us, standing straighter beside me.

"Rhaegar and I will take the dragons to the sky and burn their ships until they are ash. Varys has told me that House Martell plans to meet the Golden Company as they reach the shore, they will arrive at the peak of battle. Jon and the Northern Army will cut them off, stopping them from leaving until I can deal with them myself." I say, meeting each of their eyes.

"Yes, your grace." Odanno says, glancing to where Rhaegar nervously picks at his fingers.

"Today we remind them why House Targaryen sits the throne once more, we show them their hopes for weakness are misplaced." I tell them, the men within the tent bow to me before turning to head outside. Once the room around us is void of all others, I turn to my son and take his hands in my own.

"I'm not afraid." Rhaegar says before I can begin. I smile at him, allowing my face to become gentle in this time of battle.

"You're braver than me, I was terrified during my first battle." I tell him, he looks to me in confusion.

"But... the battle at Casterly Rock. They said you were fearless, they you returned to Dragonstone covered in the blood of your enemies rather than your own." I laugh and place a hand on his face.

"Your father will tell that story to everyone in Westeros if he could, he's already recalled it to every bookkeeper in the Red Keep. What he does not know is I had fear running through every bit of my veins that day, just as I do today, though this time it is the fear of a mother when her child enters battle." I smile at my son, watching his face ease just slightly. "Today we are protecting our kingdom, the people that will one day be yours. This is a battle to be proud of, Melarys will keep you safe atop her back. She has been with you since your time in the cradle, she would never let anything happen to you."

"I know mother. Today will be a great battle, an honor to fight beside Queen Rhaenyra the Ruthless." He glances at the crown atop my head and smiles.

"Come on, it's time." I lead my son outside, the armies stand ready below us as I run my hand along Rhaegal. He stretches his wing out to me, I climb atop it and settle into the saddle strapped to his back. With one last glance at Rhaegar, I look back to the ships settling into the water not far from the shoreline.

Anger seethes within me, adrenaline pumps through my veins as Rhaegal soars into the air, Melarys following closely behind. The bond between us surges, the dragon below me feeling every bit of rage that flows through me. I watch the Golden Company scramble their men together as we approach, some clambering into dingy's while others ready their bows with shaking hands.

"Dracarys." I tell Rhaegal, the heat builds below his scales as he lets out a bloodthirsty roar. Flames pour from his mouth, overtaking the ships the sit below us. I watch as my son soars ahead of me, his own dragon spilling flames from her mouth. The strength of House Targaryen reduces the ships to ash, pouring over them until they are nothing but splinters. I turn to see my army surge forward as the survivors make it to shore, my husband and our men cutting through them with ease.

As the battle slows and the last of the Golden Company falls, I watch from the sky as the army of the North arrives with House Martell in tow. They are forced to their knees before the bloodied massacre of their would-be army, Tormund stands before them with his hands folded. I soar forward, Rhaegal lands in front of them as the ground rumbles beneath us. The look that once brought fear to every enemy I cut through has settled back onto my face, House Martell's cowering Lord knelt before me.

I climb from my dragon without a word, my son following closely behind me. Lord Martell looks to me in absolute horror, I move to stand inches from him.

"You and your house have committed treason against House Targaryen, against the crown." I tell them, rage festering behind my eyes.

"We saw weakness in your peaceful rule." The Lord says, his fear melting into disgust.

"You have forgotten who sits the throne, why I earned the title of Ruthless. My willingness to let peace prosper should not be mistaken as weakness, your house will soon see that the strength of House Targaryen has not faltered." I look to the girl who stands cowering beside her mother, the facade fading away as she meets my eyes. She stands only a few years older then Rhaegar, but wise beyond her years.

"Your grace," She says, offering me a small bow.

"Elia, as a reward for unwavering loyalty to your Queen and notifying my Master of Whispers to your father's plans, you will become your House's new Lady." I say, watching as the Lord looks to his daughter in utter betrayal. "As for the Lord of House Martell, he will face my dragon along side his sons."

I watch as they are ripped from the ground and shoved before the two dragons on the shoreline. Terror is painted across their faces, the look of betrayal remains steadfast on the old Lord's face.

"Take your life as a gift from the gods, and thank your daughter for your survival. She is the only reason you remain alive." I say to House Martell's remaining members, settling finally on Elia's mother. "Should House Martell choose to work against the crown once more, their lineage will be wiped off of Westeros, none shall survive to carry on their name. Do not think for even a moment that the might of House Targaryen has faltered, our reign of peace does not equate to weakness. Any house who betrays the crown will die screaming, I swear this to you."

I look back to the men of House Martell with emotionless eyes, the stance of Rhaenyra the Ruthless returning to my body.

"Dracarys."