Chapter 1: Arrested

Saanvi

"So you mean to tell me that you killed the major?" Michaela asks me.

"Yes, I did."

"You realize Saanvi if you killed the Major you could go to jail for life."

"Yes and I know don't worry, I'll turn myself in."

"Okay good.. meet me at the police station at 5 pm. Okay?"

"Okay."

I didn't want to turn myself in, but feeling the gut of killing the major hit me. I just wanted to know how to cure Zeke, but now that he survived his death date, what excuse can I make?

Before I turn myself in, I want to tell Ben. Ben is one of my closest friends, and not telling him would ruin our friendship.

I head to my lab and text Ben to meet me here.

While I'm waiting for Ben to come in, I'm just looking at research on how to survive my death date, Zeke just got lucky, and I can't risk luck.

I was so focused on doing my research that I didn't even realize I heard a knock on the door. When I heard another knock, I shut down my computer and opened the door.

"Hey," I say in a nervous tone.

"What's up?..you seem a little on the edge."

"I need to tell you something.. I killed the major."

"Wha- what!"

"I know, and I'm sorry I just wanted to cure Zeke, but he survived his death date, and I'm sorry I didn't tell you this earlier," I say, bursting into tears.

Ben hugs me as I feel a sign of relief.

"It's gonna be okay."

Was it going to be okay?! Maybe turning myself in was the wrong idea...

"I was thinking of turning myself in," I said, pulling myself away from the hug.

"No... Saanvi."

"Yes, I have to. I can keep on feeling this guilt."

"Okay but whatever you do, don't mention anything about Zeke or the callings."

"Thank you, Ben.. for supporting me through my wrong times. I'm lucky to have you as a friend."

"No, I'm lucky to have you as a friend."

I couldn't help but smile.

Ben makes me feel like I can get through this and understands me the most.

I have 2 hours left before turning myself in, but I need to know what happened to us on that flight.

Maybe I can buy myself a little time.

"What are you working on?" Ben says, being noisy, staring at my computer while I open it.

"I'm just trying to find out what happened to us on flight 828."

"Saanvi.. you've been working at this for months, you need to take a break."

"If I turn myself in then I won't be able to figure out what happened to us. I'm using all the time I have."

"Okay but let me come with you."

"No, I don't want you to see me go to jail."

"Please, I insist."

"Okay, fine," I say, smiling, then rolling my eyes.

Ben laughs, and we work on the research together.