Chapter 12: The Divorce

Ben

"Don't worry, they'll come around," Ben said.

"Did they ever know about us?" Saanvi asked.

"No, but they literally heard everything so... I guess so."

"I-I should get going.."

"No, you can stay."

"No, I have work to do. I'll see you tomorrow?"

"Yeah, at least let me walk out."

Ben walks Saanvi out of the door. When Ben walks into the door, Grace is standing there with papers in her hand.

"Care to explain?" she says holding divorce papers in her hand. "You could've told me you know."

Ben takes a deep breath and looks away, unable to meet Grace's gaze. "I'm sorry," he says quietly. "I should have told you."

"But you didn't."

Ben looks back at Grace. "Grace, you went through my phone!"

"Don't try to turn this on me! These papers are more important. Were you ever going to tell me?"

"I was.. like in a couple of days."

"Do you want this? Do you want a divorce?"

Ben looked at Grace with a blank expression, not saying a word. He could feel his heart racing as Grace waited for an answer, unsure of what to expect. Finally, he nodded and said, "Yes."

"Okay, I'll sign the papers right now!"

Grace walks to the kitchen and puts the papers on the kitchen counter and signs the papers.

"Happy?" she asked.

Ben took the divorce papers. "Uh. Yeah."

"We should tell the kids about this today. Not tomorrow. It's important that they know."

"Okay, yeah, yeah."

"Okay then," Grace responded, her voice filled with a mix of anger and sadness. She could already imagine the difficult conversation that awaited them. Ben nodded in agreement, realizing the impact this decision would have on their children's lives.

-

Michaela

"Do you wanna watch a movie?" Mick asked.

"Sure, what did you have in mind?" Zeke asked, while in the kitchen.

"How about a romantic comedy?" Mick suggested.

Zeke smiled and nodded. "Just give me a second, though, because I'm bringing you a plate.

Michaela picks out a  movie while  Zeke puts the food on a plate and brings it to Michaela. "Thank you."

Zeke sat on the couch next to her. "Yeah. So, about Jared-"

Mick interrupts him. "Let's not talk about him right now. Let's just enjoy this movie."

"The movie can wait. This is important," he insists. "We have to talk about it."

Mick sighs and reluctantly agrees. "Okay."

"I'd really love to get to know him more."

"What? No, you don't."

"He's just a friend, right?"

"Yes, of course," she replied. "It's just that we're on bad terms right now."

"When did you guys get on  bad terms?"