Chapter 9: Heartbroken

1 week time jump

Narrator

There is a lot that can happen in a week, and when I say a lot, I mean a lot...

While Saanvi still had some side effects, she was able to hide them from Ben, and before long she found out more about the death date as well as how all 828 passengers have them too, not just her. Because she has been so focused on the death date, she hasn't tested on herself yet, but she will probably do so as soon as possible.

In the last few days, Grace and Ben have been fighting more than ever before, thinking that Saanvi is the root of the problem. However, when they argue, they try to act cool in front of the kids. Olive and Cal were not convinced that they were fighting as a joke. They start to feel anxious and scared every time their parents argued. They're desperate for their parents to make up and be happy again.

Michaela and Jared have some awkwardness between each other because of Zeke. Michaela was able to prove TJ's innocence to the judge, and she managed to get him out of jail. Jared wasn't too happy when he found out that TJ had been released. Jared was still mad at Michaela for getting TJ out, even though she was only trying to help. Michaela tried to make peace, but Jared shut her out, not wanting to talk to her.

Cal and Olive... Well, Cal's been doing well since the shot Saanvi gave him worked, and now he no longer has cancer. For now. And Olive. We don't know what's going on with Olive. She's acting the same as she was last week.

After that dinner, the next morning, Ben and Mick went to the hospital to ask Saanvi if she was okay, and as usual, she said 'yes'. After their conversation, they both felt that Saanvi was not being completely honest. Ben and Mick were hoping that someone else could help them get to the bottom of the situation and figure out what was really going on.

-

Present Day

Ben

Ben woke up and went downstairs. Ben was bothered by Grace. He didn't know what to do. He just can't live like this. Recently, Ben has developed feelings for Saanvi but doesn't know how to tell her. He feels like he can't tell Saanvi how he feels because he's worried that Grace would find out, and he doesn't want to hurt her. He's also scared of rejection and uncertain about how Saanvi might feel about him.

"Good Morning," Cal said, walking downstairs.

Ben looked up and forced a smile. "Hey, Cal."

Cal could tell that Ben was not in a good mood. He paused and asked, "Everything okay?" Ben shook his head and sighed. "No, not really."

"Oh, is it because of mom?"

"No, it's something else," Ben lies.

"Oh..ok"

"I'll make you breakfast soon; just give me a minute."

-

Saanvi

Saanvi was doing what she was every day. Working. She can't stop thinking about what Ben and Mick said to her. She had tried to ignore their comments but the words kept playing in her head. She knew she had to focus on her work but her mind was elsewhere.

Flashback: the morning after dinner

Ben dials Mick's number.

"When are we meeting up?"

"Um, we can meet up now, but let's take our time because I really don't want to go to work just to see Jared."

"I don't believe you have a choice, or else you'll be fired."