Chapter 3: All Good Things

Ben

I was in complete shock at that moment. One million dollars! How will Grace get the money she needs to bail me out of jail?

My attention is caught by the glance of Mick and Saanvi to my left as I see them conversing with one another. I can tell from the look on Saanvi's face that she is anxious. In my heart, I wanted to tell her "all good things," but at this time, I am not able to do so.

There is a moment when my lawyer reaches for her purse and folder and asks me, "Why would you say you're guilty of something you did not do?"

"It's all part of the plan," I said.

"What- what plan?"

To be honest, I didn't know what I was talking about.

"Uhm.. it's nothing," I say, giving her a smile.

Eventually, my lawyer leaves, and I walk up to Grace. The guards only gave me a few minutes to say my goodbyes, so I wasn't going to waste any time. As Grace cries in disbelief, I pull her into a hug.

"What are we going to do?" she asks.

"Don't worry," I say, pulling away from the hug, "we'll figure something out."

"You can't figure out anything if you're stuck in a prison cell," she cries.

"All good things," I say, wiping her tears with my thumb.

My hand gently grips Grace's head with my fingers and I kiss the top of her forehead.

"I love you," I say.

"I love you more."

Mick approaches me and gives me a big hug. Having her as a younger sister has been the best thing ever for me. I grew up with her, and she was one of the best things that I ever had.

I am sure we will figure this out," Mick says with a smile.

"Yeah, of course, we will," I reply.

When I was pulling away from the hug, I saw Saanvi standing far away from the rest of us. She did not give me a hug. That is so unusual of her. Maybe she's just going through a lot right now. Or she's just anxious due to what Grace said to her? Saanvi thinks that it's all her fault, but it isn't. I would do anything to help both Saanvi and Grace, whether it was their fault or not.

Across from the room, Saanvi gives me a sweet smile as I return the smile she gives me.

Then, after a few moments, two guards approach me, put my hands behind my back, and start putting handcuffs on me as they direct me to leave the room.

-

Saanvi

$1,000,000 or 10 years in jail. Honestly, I'm not sure which is the better choice. I think most people would choose $1,000,000, but who has that kind of money laying around.

While watching the guards take Ben away, it became clear to me that he would do anything and everything to protect me. It is just that I didn't think he was going to do all of this for me.

As soon as I grab my purse, I leave the room without saying a word to either Mick or Grace. The first thing that came to my mind was that Grace was going to say something to me, so I just walked past her like she didn't exist.

When I was in the main lobby, Jared asked me, "How was it?"

"It was horrible."

"And why's that?"

"Ben must either get a bail of $1,000,000 or spend 10 years in jail."

"Don't stress," Jared said.

As much as I would like it to be that easy not to worry about this whole situation, I can't.