Chapter 13: This Isn't Fair

A WEEK LATER

"Benjamin Stone, I see you've been in here for the murder of the major," the judge asked.

"Yeah, yeah, but that was a while ago."

"Okay, and you're in here for custody of both kids?"

"Yes."

The lawyer nodded. "And do you have a plan for how to handle the situation with both of them?"

"I plan to have a joint parenting agreement with another parent."

To be honest, Ben didn't tell Saanvi that she was going to help take care of Olive and Cal, but I'm sure he'll tell her. When Grace found out that Ben wanted custody of both of the kids, she kind of let it be. Part of her wanted to be alone, and a part of her wanted to be with her kids. Maybe she wanted at least one of them. Grace planned on waiting to see what the judge would say about this.

The lawyer smiled. "That sounds like a good plan. But Grace Stone, how do you feel about your ex husband getting custody of both kids?"

Grace stands up. "Um, I feel like we should get one kid e-"

"No, Cal and O-"

The judge interrupts Ben "Grace is speaking right now. You have to wait for your turn. Now continue."

"I feel like having one kid each is fair, right?"

"Maybe. Do you have someone to help you? Or are you going to be alone?" the judge questions.

"Well, your honor, obviously I have no one to help me. I can raise one of them on my own, both of them, in fact."

"Benjamin Stone, how do you feel about this?"

Ben stands up. "I still think we should have one kid each."

"Can I ask you a question? Also, both of you can stand up."

"Yeah."

"Where are your kids anyway?"

"Oh, they're with their aunt."

"Does your sister know about the divorce?"

"No, but I plan on telling her soon."

"Okay. As if right now, I agree that you guys should have one kid each. Grace, do you disagree?"

"I feel like Ben can't handle two kids on his own with his girlfriend."

"How do you feel about Ben's girlfriend?"

"Well, I feel very hurt, honestly, and I don't think his girlfriend has experience anyway. I think since I have the most experience, I should have both of them."

"What do you have to say about this, Ben?"

"I helped you raise Olive and Cal. I have some experience."

"Not enough," Grace said.

"I-." Ben couldn't think of anything else to say. Grace got him good.

"Okay, well, that settles it. Grace Stone gets custody of both kids. This case is dismissed." The judge bangs on her gravel.

Grace smiled triumphantly as Ben walked away. She knew she was right and was happy to have won the case. Ben left the courtroom, feeling dejected and embarrassed. Ben had been certain that he could win the case, but that wasn't the case. He had been outmatched by Grace, and he knew it. He vowed to never underestimate her again.

Since Ben and Grace still lived in the same house, they still needed to decide on who would live in the house and, obviously, tell the kids the news. Grace eventually left the courtroom and got into her car. Both of them had their own cars, so they wouldn't have to worry about arguing again.