Chapter 11: We Need To Talk

Narrator

Olive came down the stairs. "Dad, what's going on?"

Ben was sitting in the living room, looking pale and uneasy. He slowly turned to face her and said, "What?"

Olive sat next to him. "I heard you guys fighting again. What was that about?"

Ben sighed. "It's nothing. Everything's fine."

Olive didn't believe him. She looked him in the eyes. "No, it's not."

Ben looked away, his face reddening. "Why don't you go?" he muttered.

"No, Dad, I'm tired of you guys fighting! What is going on? Please tell me the truth."

"Uhm-"

Grace walks into the living room to see Ben and Olive talking. Ben and Olive looked up at her.  She could tell something was going on but wasn't sure what.

"What were guys talking about?" Grace asked.

Olive ignored Grace's question. "Have you been crying?" she asked.

"Crying? Why would I be crying?" Grace looked at her skeptically.

"It just looks like you're upset," Olive said.

"No, I'm fine," Grace replied.

"But your eyes look a little red."

"Wow, okay," Grace said, folding her arms.

"Are you sure you haven't been-"

"Olive, let's not," Ben whispered, cutting her off.

Grace looked unconvinced but didn't press any further. She knew when someone was keeping something from her. She decided to let it go for now.

"Oh, I'm gonna go," Olive said, walking back upstairs.

"I should too," Ben says, leaving the room.

After Ben goes upstairs, his phone rings. Grace hears the phone ringing on the kitchen counter and decides to come closer to it. Grace sees that Saanvi is calling him. Grace is curious to why Saanvi is calling Ben, so she decides to answer the phone. She is also hoping to find out more about their relationship.

Saanvi: Hey, Ben. Hello?

Grace feels like her only option is to unlock Ben's phone since she can't imitate his voice. Luckily, Grace  knows the password. She hopes that by accessing his phone, she can find out if anything is going on between them. Grace goes to Saanvi's contact and looks through the messages.

May 20th, 2019 (yesterday)

Ben: Grace is being so annoying.

Saanvi: I know. Grace is... Grace.

Ben: Yeah. I don't know if I can deal with her.

Saanvi: What are you thinking?

Ben: I'm going to get a divorce with her soon. She doesn't know yet, but I'll tell her soon. I have the divorce papers and everything.

After looking through some messages,  she feels anger but she  has to stick to the plan. Grace texts Saanvi.

Grace (Ben): Hey, I can't call right now. Can we text instead?

Saanvi: Yeah, of course.

Saanvi ends the call.

Saanvi: I have something important to tell you. Do you wanna have lunch together?