Normal

Gia waited for Henry and Nicole to separate before she handed the phone to Nicole, open on Chris' text. Gia kept her gaze on the floor, not daring for a second to look up at the room full of people that were still fixed in her general direction. Henry made his way through the crowd back towards the stage, taking the eyes with him. Gia felt her heartbeat regulate. Nicole turned to Gia and followed her outstretched arm to the text message. "Will you come with me?" Gia asked. Nicole nodded. 

That evening as the day ended, Gia and Nicole had made their way back to the apartment to get ready for the evening out. It had felt like forever since they had been home, even though it had only been a few hours. Nicole flopped onto the couch in the living room. Gia latched the door behind them and tossed her keys onto the kitchen counter. Gia pulled out a chair in the kitchen and sat down, rubbing her hands over her face and letting out a sigh. "What a day." she stated. Nicole let out an agreeing 'mmm' as she tried to fight off sleep. "Nicole, do not even. We literally have an hour. Go shower." Gia let out flatly. Nicole sighed and rolled off the couch reluctantly. 

Gia sat at the counter in the silence of the apartment, she could finally hear her own thoughts again. She looked around the room, taking in the 'normal' the two girls had. The array of weird and wacky cups that Nicole had collected over the years; the pictures of their families neatly hung on the walls in various thrift store frames; the bright yellow kettle that they had bought for $3 at a garage sale that they both hated; the clashing aesthetics of the two girls throw cushions. Gia laughed to herself, in a matter of a few hours, 'normal' felt so foreign. Gia folded her arms and let her head rest on top of them. She closed her eyes.

"Gia you hippo-crate

"Gia you hippo-crate." Nicole sung, shaking Gia from her nap. Gia jumped in her chair. Nicole stood in the kitchen in her bath towels. "I don't even take long to shower." she said. Gia rubbed her eyes, still confused and let out a yawn. "I'm going. I'm going." she said in her yawn and slipped off the stool. Nicole rolled her eyes and made her way into her room to get dressed. Nicole fumbled as she pulled up the zip to her boot while tying to answer her phone. "Hellooo" she sung out of breath. Henry laughed "Bad time?" he asked. Nicole caught her breath, "Getting ready for a double date with celebrities isn't easy, henry." Nicole teased. "Tights and an oversized tee aren't acceptable." Henry let out an exaggerated moan making Nicole laugh. "I just wanted to call and remind you that you're beautiful and I can't wait to see you." Henry said. Nicole pouted her bottom lip whilst she unclipped the back of her earring. "Aww." she let out. They said goodbye and Nicole continued to get ready.

 They said goodbye and Nicole continued to get ready

Gia knocked on Nicole's door a few minutes later. "Come in." Nicole said. Gia opened the door and stood there awkwardly. She looked at Nicole. "You always over dress and make me feel so hobo-chic." she sighed. Nicole furrowed her brows. "Gia, you literally always look like an off duty model! With the white tank and straight hair. UGH." Nicole rolled her eyes and pulled out the last of her hair rollers. "What's up?" she asked Gia. Gia sat on the bed watching Nicole. She played with the pleat in her pants and sighed. " Am I a horrible person for not wanting to be seen with Chris?" Gia asked. Nicole paused. "When? Tonight?" Nicole asked confused. Gia remembered that she hadn't told Nicole about earlier today. "No. Chris met up with me when you were with Henry and walked with me back to the Centre.. I told him to go on without me before we got there. But it wasn't about him..I'm just not ready for all the attention it will bring. We don't really know each other that well." Gia hung her head. Nicole looked at Gia and offered her a sweet smile. "Gia, you're not a bad person. Just a really shy one." Gia let out an irritated huff. 

Nicole and Gia made their way towards the door. "OPEN UP. WE'RE DOING A RAID!" The girls stopped frozen in their stride. Nicole mouthed: "Us?" Gia shook her head and pointed towards the next door neighbours wall. Nicole nodded and pointed at the  Fire escape. Gia and Nicole Tiptoed towards the window. Gia slowly pushed the window up. The window let out a strained whine. Nicole smacked Gia's arm and Gia made an angry face at her. Once the window was open the girls tossed their handbags out onto the landing and carefully climbed out. Nicole shut the window as they made their way down the metal stairs. Clang Clang Clang. Gia turned towards Nicole. "Did you have to wear heels?!" she snapped. Nicole pulled her lips back and let out a "tss" 

Once off the stairs, Gia hailed a taxi and they both slid in. "To 'Something Fishy' please." Nicole said as Gia handed the man his fare. Gia typed: On our way and hit send. Nicole took a photo of the New York skyline. As if we haven't been living here for 4 years Gia thought.