nineteen

after all their weeks of hard work, today was finally the big day

after all their weeks of hard work, today was finally the big day. it was time to face off against iceland in the final match of the junior goodwill games.

"live from arrowhead pond in anaheim, california, it's team usa versus iceland in the hockey finals of the junior goodwill games. hi everybody, this is bob miller along with jacques berman. nice to have you with us for what should be an exciting game tonight."

as chrissy donned her gear in the locker room, anticipation mingled with disappointment. adam's absence stung; she had hoped he'd be there to support her, especially after the tumultuous week they'd shared.

charlie still had a justified resentment towards her. she strung him along for weeks only to start something with adam. it wasn't fair to him, and she didn't expect him to still be her friend.

"coach!" someone busted through the door screaming.

"banks?" coach bombay looked surprised,  as did the rest of the team. he was out of breath wearing a huge grin as he looked like he had news to share.

"i woke up.. and the pain was gone!" adam revealed spinning the hockey stick around with his wrist effortlessly. the team cheered knowing one of their best players, and friend, was fully healed.

coach sighed, his regret evident, "adam, i'm sorry. we already have a full roster." he longed for adam to rejoin the game but had already promised a spot on the ice to russ. chrissy couldn't help but frown.

she'd grown up playing hockey with adam, and wanted nothing more than to play the big game alongside him.

understanding the situation, russ began removing his jersey, ready to relinquish his spot. however, charlie intervened placing a hand on his shirt, "he can have my spot."

chrissy's head snapped up, her gaze fixed on the conway boy as he made his way to the front of the room, "it's what i can do, for the team."

a shared glance circulated among the team members. charlie's ongoing frustration with chrissy this week was no secret, so his decision wasn't entirely surprising.

adam hesitated at first, shaking his head, reluctant to accept anything from him given recent events. but charlie then leaned in and whispered discreetly, "we may not like each other, i get it. but she wants you there, not me. just take it."

adam scanned the room, catching chrissy's intense glare. in that moment, he realized what truly mattered to him – not some petty grudge he held against charlie, but chrissy and chrissy alone. he patted charlie on the back, signaling his acceptance of the offer.