twenty seven

today was the first big game day for the ducks, or the warriors as they were now called

"it appears the entire school has turned out to see the once mighty ducks, i mean, rather, the, um, eden hall warriors, do battle with the blake freshman bears!"

the rink was bustling, teeming with students, parents, cheerleaders, and even the band, but amidst the sea of faces, only one seat held significance for chrissy – adam's.

he was there to support not only chrissy but also the rest of the ducks. as she gracefully glided onto the ice, chrissy stole a glance at adam, giving him a small wave.

adam sat among his new team and some cheerleaders. as chrissy skated out onto the ice, she waved at him. he quickly waved back with a grin, mouthing 'i love you.'

chrissy's heart fluttered at the words, but she quickly looked away, unable to reciprocate.

"gather around. let's go. husttle up." coach orion pulled everyone into a quick gathering. "all right, think defense. all right, hand's in. here we go."

chrissy and her teammates began their customary chant, "quack! quack! quack! quack!" until orion abruptly silenced them with a stern reprimand.

"hey, hey, hey, what's the hell's that?! knock it off!" he scolded before redirecting their focus. "all right, go team on two. here we go, one, two."

"go team." the kids replied unenthusiastically, turning to take their positions on the ice.

"go team. how original." charlie remarked, the hint of sarcasm not lost on chrissy and fulton.

"just get in the game, conway." chrissy sighed with a chuckle, gliding off. "let's do it charlie!" fulton cheered him on.

"point of fact, charlie conway is not wearing the traditional captain c. he's been this team's captain since they played in district five. i guess. coach orion's making a statement."

as chrissy completed her lap, she couldn't help but notice charlie waving to a girl in the stands. squinting, she tried to get a closer look. it was linda – linda from the bus stop. something about that girl just made chrissy's blood boil. and now, watching charlie get all smitten at the sight of her, it fueled an even bigger rage in her stomach.

the game was about to begin, but for chrissy, the battle waged within her heart was just as fierce as the one unfolding on the ice.

chrissy seized the face-off, deftly snatching the puck the instant it touched the ice. charlie was stuck fighting off some defensemen as he glided down the line, pushing whoever he needed so she could make her shot.