twenty

chrissy, alongside adam and luis, entered the locker room in laughter, where conversations revolved around dwayne's roping incident

coach bombay and ms. mckay stormed in next with visible frustration. "did you all enjoy that?" coach bombay asked, anger in his voice.

"yeah!" the team responded in unison, though it did cost them some game time. witnessing iceland's setback was a relief.

coach bombay continued, putting things in perspective, "ok well, so did they. because they're still three points up and we're one period away from defeat." his words quelled the chatter.

chrissy found a seat on the bench next to adam, purposefully avoiding charlie.

jesse spoke up, "well if we can't beat them, we might as well keep our pride."

"yeah!" the team agreed.

"jesse, that's not pride." coach bombay emphasized, "sure when dwayne roped that big oaf, part of me cheered. but guys, i've been there. i know how you feel. i wanted to cream that jerk that busted my knee when i played in the minors, and i really really wanted to go after stansson for that cheap shot. but you know what? my knee will heal. and if i become someone i'm not, if i sink to their level, well, then i've lost more than my knee. you understand?"

"yeah." everyone understandingly muttered.

"we're not goons. we're not bullies. no matter what people say or do, we have to be ourselves." the man spoke with pride.

he began to question each player, emphasizing their individuality and where they hailed from. the team members took turns standing up and sharing their names and hometowns.

"you. who are you?"

"dean portman."

"from where?"

"chicago, illinois."

"you."

"guy germaine."

"from where?"

"from st. paul, minnesota."

"you."

"jesse hall from minneapolis, minnesota."

"who are you?"

"julie gaffney from bangor, maine."

coach bombay pointed to luis next. he stood up, "luis mendoza. miami, florida."