twenty one

after the game chrissy was sitting around the local campfire with the ducks celebrating their win

the rodgers girl occupied the spot next to adam as the kids were busily roasted marshmallows, and, in typical goldberg fashion, he had set his marshmallow on fire. "whoa! help me!" the boy screamed.

"you're not supposed to light it on fire!" charlie exclaimed, quickly grabbing the flaming marshmallow and tossing it into the dirt, which elicited laughter from everyone.

gathered around the crackling campfire, the team joined in singing "we are the champions" together, marking the close of an unforgettable season.

🏒

the next morning, upon their return to minnesota, chrissy went back to her house for the first time in weeks. it was time.

as she reentered her home, she diligently avoided her father, spending her time around her mom. she knew she'd have to navigate this new normal.

the events of the last twenty-four hours had been a stark reminder of the one person who had been there for her throughout.

with a sense of urgency, she went outside and knocked on adam's door, driven by the need to share her feelings.

"hey." the banks boy murmured as he answered the door, a hint of surprise in his eyes at seeing her.

"hey." chrissy replied with a warm smile. "i wanted to talk to you.. about everything that happened with charlie this summer."

adam swiftly closed the door behind him, as they both moved to the front porch.

"before you say anything, just know that there won't be a repeat of the last couple weeks. the past is in the past for me. whatever happened, happened. okay? i-i want you to be happy. alright, you and i are good, we'll always be good."

"adam, stop." she gently interrupted him, her voice tinged with affection, though he averted his gaze.

"hey, look at me." she urged, her fingers lightly tracing his cheek as she turned his face to hers. "you know me better than anyone. what am i thinking?"

adam hesitated, his voice filled with uncertainty. "i don't know." he admitted, the fear of further rejection holding him back.

however, chrissy knew him better than that, "you know."

without uttering a word, the two became one, their lips meeting without hesitation.

it was official. chrissy rodgers had chosen adam banks, her best friend, the boy next door.

their kiss lasted for at least ten to fifteen seconds, both savoring the relief from the recent drama. chrissy pulled away, her face breaking into a radiant smile. yet, as she did, adam's attention was drawn to something.

"hey, there's some letter from eden hall academy?" he mentioned, his focus shifting to the envelope in his mailbox.

"that private school?" chrissy inquired as she started to examine it with him.

this could be the beginning of a new chapter for chrissy rodgers. the future was unclear; but it was still hers.

🏒