Chapter 5 Tristan

^^^^^^^^^Jefferson Connily
Hey guys!
Thanks for reading! Don't forget to vote and comment!
------------------
I couldn't forget her face. The way her expression changed when I mentioned Ainsley. I hated myself. I went home and kicked myself for what I did. What the hell was I thinking? I yelled at the top of my lungs. I ruined my chances. She would try to avoid me now and I would never be able to talk to her again. I was so stupid. Something about my family ticked her off. When I mentioned my dad's gathering she started squirming in her seat. I needed to talk to her again.
I slammed the door and threw my jacket across the foyer. I looked up and saw my mom standing there with an apron on and a baking tray in her hands. She looked like a deer caught in the headlights.
"WHAT THE HELL ARE YOU DOING IN MY HOUSE, MOM?" I boomed. She yelped and almost dropped her tray.
"N...nothing sweetheart. I just wanted to c...cook for you...?" I knew my mother was scared of me, but I didn't care. When it came to my parents there was nothing good. I called my butler.
"Bernard!"
"Yes, sir?" He asked, walking to me.
"Please escort my mother out the door please. She does not belong here now."
"Sir." He said and bowed as he took my mother to the door.
"Sweetheart! The cookies?" My mother yelled.
"Keep them." I raced up to my master suite and collapsed on the bed. I sighed and hid my head under the pillow. I didn't want to talk to anyone right now. I would punch anyone who tried.
------------------
The next day at school could be described uncomfortable at best. There was a crowd of girls around a table in the lobby. I read the sign. Liv's matches made in heaven. Olivia's business. I had heard about it and it's success. I was proud of her. As I walked towards her the girls separated and started giggling uncontrollably. Um. I walked up to the table and greeted Olivia. She was gorgeous. She wore a blue dress. It definitely wasn't as enticing as the red one but it would do.
"Hey," she greeted shyly. She started blushing. Oh, holy hell.
"Hey," I said back.
"So you want to find a match?"
"Uh...no."
"Well just fill in an application and... Wait. What? What are you doing here if you don't want a match?"
"I wanted to talk to you Olivia," I looked around at the mob around me, "alone." She squirmed uncomfortably again. Why did I always do this? Even if I didn't want to I knew I had to. "Please?" I said again. She sighed.
"Okay, but I'm kind of busy right now as you can see. Lunch?" I nodded. As I walked away I couldn't help but feel that I had done something great for myself.
--------------------
I fidgeted in my seat and looked at the clock every two seconds. Couldn't time pass faster? I stared at the board full of calculus. I wanted to scream. One agonizing minute until lunch. Finally, the bell rang loud and clear through the school. I almost jumped up and ran through the door, but instead I picked up my books like a civilized human being and strode out of the room. I sped to the dining hall and saw her sitting with Sean. They were talking and laughing until Blaire snuck up behind them and poured soup on Olivia's head. I could feel the smoke coming out of my ears. That bitch. Oh she had done it. I strode up to her, picking up someone's drink on the way. I held it out and said,
"Here you go, you pain in the ass." And spilled it on her perfectly styled hair. The whole room burst into laughter. I stood there smiling smugly. Olivia's beautiful blue dress was now green, but who cared. I had avenged her. She looked like she was resisting the urge to stand up and hug me, but I wanted her to. I looked up to the demon standing before me as she huffed and walked out. Then I promptly started laughing.
Jefferson caught up to me and patted me on the back.
"Good job young sir. She deserved every bit of that grape juice on her head." He laughed his hearty laugh. I nodded and looked down at Olivia.
"Tristan," she said seriously, "I have never, ever met anyone who had the guts to do that. I worship you." Sean laughed and clapped me on the back as he stood to clean his tray.
"Yeah man. You're awesome. You sure you're not gonna get expelled or something?" I waved his words away.
"Nah. And even if they try I can pay them to let me stay. Or buy the whole school. Their choice."
He laughed and walked away. I looked down at the table again but found that Olivia had disappeared. Shit. Where did she go? Jefferson sensed my thoughts.
"Sir, I think miss Olivia went back to her locker." Dammit. I walked out of the cafeteria and saw Olivia walking away.
"Olivia!" I called and she turned around. I sighed with relief. I walked up to her and could still see the little bits of corn in her hair. But she was still breath taking.
"Yes Tristan?" She peered at me with her hazel eyes and I almost collapsed.
"I...uh... Wanted to talk to you about yesterday."
"What about yesterday?"
"I'm sorry." I blurted stupidly.
"Tris, why are you sorry?" I groaned.
"I know you were uncomfortable when I mentioned my family. I'm really sorry if I'm forcing you into something you don't want to do. I understand if you never want to talk to me again." I said quickly. I cringed and waited for her reply. She put her hand on my shoulder and instantly warmth spread through my veins.
"Why would I never want to talk to you again? You're my friend and I like talking to you. But do you really want to know why I was uncomfortable when you mentioned your family?" I nodded meekly. She went on to tell me about her father and her mother. My heart bled for her. I hated this man who had left her in poverty and abandoned her and her mother when they needed him. I knew what it felt like to have virtually absent parents. At least she had one of them to support her. I hugged her in spite of her soupy state and rubbed her back.
"I'm so sorry." I whispered. From that moment on I decided that I would let no one touch my Olivia. Not even my own family.
--------------------
I got home that day in a rather cheerful mood. But that mood was instantly demolished by the stylish figure in front of me. Why the hell did Ainsley have to come and see me everyday? Anyway, it didn't matter now because I was breaking up with her.
"Hello," she purred.
"Hey," I said as I hung my coat up and rolled up my sleeves, getting ready for the mess I was about to make.
"How do you like school, baby?"
"Love it. Today I poured grape juice on a girl's head." That did it. Her face fell.
"Y...you love it? And you poured juice on someone? I'm not going to marry a barbarian, Tristan." I smirked.
"Nope. But your not going to marry me either." Her plucked brows scrunched.
"What?"
"Ainsley Hawthorne, from this day on we are no longer a couple." She literally shrieked.
"YOU CANNOT SAY THAT! YOUR DAD NEEDS ME AND MY DADDY! IM NOT GOING TO LET THIS HAPPEN! YOU'LL SEE IM GOING TO PLAN THE WEDDING RIGHT NOW AND MY GOWN AND YOUR TUXEDO AND EVERYTHING AND WE ARE GOING TO GET MARRIED TODAY!" I touched her shoulder. She turned around and glowered at me.
"I'm sorry but I like someone else." At this she fumed even more.
"WHO? IS IT ONE OF THOSE POOR STUPID GIRLS AT YOUR SCHOOL? THOSE BI-" I put my had over her mouth.
"As a matter of fact she is. She is ten times more beautiful, kind, and intelligent than you will ever be." She yelled and bit my hand. Shit! Sharp teeth.
"I hate you, Tristan. I will make sure I ruin you and that little poor bitch. I hate you, hate you, hate you-" and she walked out of the door.
-------------------
A few hours later my dad stormed in.
"TRISTAN ALISTAIR VANDERBILT WHY IN HELL DID YOU BREAK UP WITH AINSLEY?" I sighed. I knew this would happen, but I could handle it.
"Hey Dad, how's your day going?" I asked him casually.
"SHUT UP YOU ASSHOLE! Do you know what you did? You ruined my relationship with Ainsley's father. You idiot. Did you even think about what you would be doing? And who is this other girl you insist on liking?"
"Olivia Amherst. She is beautiful, smart, talented. Everything you can ask for in a girl."
"Is she rich?" He asked.
"No." He promptly spewed out a string of curses.
"Are you out of your mind? Do you want to live in a dump? Why don't you just go live in a fucking trailer park if you want to be poor. Look at this mansion. The money. Why are you so stupid? You are not acting like my son."
"Dad. Nothing you can say is going to stop me. You can't take anything away from me. You can't tell me what to do. You lost that right when I was born to awful parents like you." I felt a sharp sting on my cheek and I knew had slapped me.
"Tristan, you are drawing the line. Don't be an idiot."
"No Dad. I'm not the idiot here. It is funny for you to think that you can mess with me. You gave me independence as a child and with that you have me power and wealth. But every ounce of it I have earned on my own. You do not have the right to take any of this. I live my own life now. There are just two people in this world that I randomly call Mom and Dad." His face was bright red.
"From now on you will not get an ounce of support from me or your mother. You are on your own. I won't even look at your face. Do you understand?" I nodded, looking him squarely in the eye.
"Yes, Joseph Hunter Vanderbilt, I do." He cursed at me and walked out of my life for good. At least that was what I thought.