Chapter 6 Olivia

^^^^^^^^^^^ Aurora Amherst (Liv's mom)
Hey guys!
Thanks so much for reading. I know that last one was kind of short and for that I am truly sorry. I'll make this one longer. Promise. Please don't forget to vote and comment!
---------------------------
The conversation with Tristan about my father had gotten me thinking. What if he knew him? They were in the same social strata and he had a wide network of wealthy friends and associates. The only problem was that my mother had never told me his name. Probably for this exact reason. She did not want me to dig up the past and make him come back because it would just hurt her more, but I needed to find him. I needed to ask him why he left and hurt us. Why he never wanted to be apart of his daughter's life. Now he had another daughter and was living in LA. I was his first. Shouldn't that mean something? He never helped us get back on our feet after he left. He just disappeared. At least he knew me for six years. I walked into our cramped apartment and saw my mom in her usual position. Frazzled, stressed, and damn tired. My mother was surprisingly young to have a seventeen year old daughter. She had me when she was around my age and was still in her early thirties. She stayed with me, loved me, and never regretted me even once. More than I could say for my ole pop.
"Hey Mom," I said, stepping inside and putting my bag on the floor. She dropped her laundry and came and hugged me. Everyday she did the same thing. I loved her more for it. She worked two sometimes even three jobs to get by and she still had time for me. My mom was an exceptionally beautiful woman with dirty blonde hair and olive green eyes like mine. The reason for my name was my striking eye color. Wherever she went man cat called after her. She had went on several dates but none of them were dad for her. She could never find love again. I decided to ask her the question now.
"Mom?" I asked still embracing her.
"Mmhmm?"
"What was my father's name?" I could feel all of her muscles tense and she backed away from me.
"Why?" She asked suspiciously.
"Mom. I'm really curious. Can't I get to know my father?"
"No."
"Mom why?" I was starting to get angry now. This never ended well.
"You know why!" She yelled, "your father didn't care. Now I don't care for him. Nothing good will ever come out of trying to find him and you need to understand that."
"Mom, I know you still love him. Why don't you give him a chance to explain." I said softly.
"NO AND IF I EVER HEAR OF THIS AGAIN I WILL NOT BE LENIENT ON THE PUNISHMENT."
"But-"
"Olivia. Stop now." I shut up. I decided I would have to find him on my own.
----------------------
The next day Tristan was waiting in front of my locker when I got there.
"Uh hey Tristan. What are you doing in front of my locker. Yours is down that way." I said pointing down another hallway. He chuckled.
"I know, Olivia. I just wanted to extend an invitation to you."
"An invitation? For?"
"I want you to meet my little sister Scarlett." I stepped back and shook my head.
"Olivia, she's not what you think. She is sweet, kind, strong and I am very protective of her. She's like me." I thought about it. Would it really be so bad to meet his sister? And if what he said was true we would get along pretty damn well. I decided for it.
"When?" I could see the little victory twinkle in his eyes. What I wouldn't do to kiss the guy.
"Today? Right after school?" I sighed in resignation.
"Oh, alright. Can I go with you because I obviously don't have a car and can't afford one." At this his eyes darkened. Maybe I shouldn't have brought that up?
"Yes you can come with me, but as soon as we come back I'm buying you a car." I choked.
"You can't be serious Tristan." His expression was one of grim resolution. Nope, no moving him.
"Whatever, but it can't be some crazy expensive sports luxury contraption that I can barely work ok? Just something understated and, what is that word? Oh yeah, normal." He smirked and took my hand.
"Anything," he said softly, "for you." Jesus Christ I had a whole farm full of butterflies in my stomach. I just stood there stupidly, paralyzed, as he walked to English. He turned around.
"You coming? We have English." He called out. I nodded and rushed meekly after him.

I didn't pay attention through out English. Between thoughts of my dad and fantasies of dating Tristan, my mind was pretty full. Sean went about his usual thing. Tapping me on the shoulder, passing notes like the immature baby he was. I had to slap his hand away and make him shut up. Sometimes he annoyed the hell out of me. Finally, the bell ended my misery.
"Yo Sean," I said, beckoning him to me.
"Yes babe?"
"You need to stop bothering me in class. I was trying to pay attention to the teacher? Ever heard of doing that in school?"
"Sorry Liv." He said as he sucked his head.
"You know I have to keep my GPA up. I mean I'll probably fail this class on my own accord if I do but I can't afford to." I was so tired of saying that phrase. I can't afford it or I can't afford to. Another thing I blamed my dad for. I turned around and walked away as I heard Sean call my name. I didn't really want to talk right now. I just went to my locker and went on to my next class. That's what it was for me. Onwards and upwards, never once being able to slow down.
-------------------
At lunch I suddenly heard some squealing behind me. I turned around to see who made the noise. Bailey Matthews was standing behind me and ogling at Tristan who was sitting next to me but didn't seem to notice. Ever since Tristan came to the school my business had gone down the drain. People always wanted to be matched with Tristan or didn't fill out the application honestly, trying to guess what Tristan liked in a girl. Honestly, I didn't know, but I know they all got it wrong. He had told me about Ainsley after that day in the cafe. He told me how nasty she was and all she wanted was money. He had told me that he had broken up with her. I was happy for him, finally getting what he asked for, but he lost a lot, too. He lost the support of his parents and pretty much all of his contacts in the world along with them. I felt bad for him, but it wasn't like he was missing out on anything. He had hated his life. Now it was better for him. At least he had his sister and his friends. I wanted to help him and be near him. I started to really like him in the short time I knew him. Whenever a girl stared at him and asked if he was her match my heart twisted a little. I looked at all the beautiful and rich girls who liked him. Girls who were even partially sweet. They all had a chance before me so what was the chance I could end up with him. We were just friends and I would have to keep him like that. I didn't want to end up like my mom even though I knew (thought) that Tristan would never do something like that. I just needed to be guarded until he showed me a sign. I would just have to wait.
I watched as I saw Tristan finally notice, twist around, and wave to her. I could feel that I was as red as a tomato. Bailey swooned and almost fainted. Tristan looked at me and smiled but was suddenly confused.
"Olivia? Are you okay? You look like you drank a bottle of hot sauce. Your face is so red." He touched my cheek and my face started glowing fifty shades brighter. Fuck. He pulled his hand from my face and pretended to blow on it.
"Damn, Olivia. Your face just burned me." Did he really have to do this now?
"Put a sock in it, Tristan." I said as I walked out of the dining hall and he ran after me.
"Olivia! Wait! What did I do wrong?" I turned around not being able to contain my anger anymore.
"What did you do wrong? WHAT DID YOU DO WRONG? I'll tell you what you did wrong mister big-shot Vanderbilt. You walk around like your all that and a bag of chips. 'Oh I'll buy this and that. A car for him, a damn country for her.' When does it end? People follow you around and respect you and love you because your rich, smart, really damn handsome! You have it all. Well guess what? I don't. I live my life sleeping in a hole. My mom works two jobs and I have to work harder than everyone else in school. Does anyone respect me for that? NO! Of course not 'cuz I'm only the poor girl in the corner of every class. The only one with her homework done. The only one who doesn't have time to manage a boyfriend and a yacht trip. When do I get that? When do I get the respect, the friends, the freaking entourages? Why do I have to work so hard when it just falls into your lap?" I could see that I had struck a nerve by the way a muscle ticked on his jaw. Dammit. I let my anger and hurt get the better of me. I wanted to walk towards him and just hug him. I actually started when he stopped me with a cold, dead laugh. Uh oh.
"Is that what you think? Is that what everyone thinks? That I'm perfect. Rich, smart, stunning? That everything just falls into my lap? Dammit Olivia. Why? You have no idea what it feels like to have both of your parents but know that they don't care about you. The only thing I have is cold hard cash. I don't have friends. What? I've never even heard the word. It's a curse to be rich if anything. People are just hungry for the things they can buy. That's their happiness, but it's nowhere near mine. I would be perfectly happy living a modest life. Did my dad let me? No. But not with my best interest in mind. Oh no. Only his selfish goal of getting more of that green poison who's death promise eludes us all. I am nothing more than a toy to everyone. They wait and watch for my next move and get a kick out of it and follow me. Olivia, my life is the farthest from perfect it can ever be. I seem to have everything, but in reality I have nothing." I was almost near tears. I ran to him and hugged him. I was so, so sorry. I looked up at him and his eyes were kind again. Oh how I missed those eyes. I dug my face into his hard chest.
"I'm sorry you had to see me like that Olivia, but like everyone else you needed to know." He kisses the top of my head as the bell rang and he disappeared.
"I'm sorry, too." I whispered though I doubt that he heard me.