Chapter 3

Avni stood there numb.

Akshit (concerned): Avni

No response.

Akshit (tapping Avni's shoulder): Avneet

Still no response. Akshit held her by the shoulder and jerked her. She came back to her senses and shivered.

Akshit (worried): Kya Hua Avni?

Avni (tears roll down her eyes): Ak... Akshit vo... Bhai bhabhi ka accident hua... Hua hai. Hospital me hai. Mujhe jana hoga. Main jati hoon.

Akshit: Sath chalte hai. Akele me nahi jane de sakta tumhe.

He took his phone and informed his boss about the emergency. Akshit and Avneet left.

After some time, which was like years for Avni, they finally reached the hospital. Avni went towards the reception.

Avni (tensed): Please tell me the wardroom for the emergency accident. Few people brought a couple over here.

Receptionist: First floor, Room 105 for male patient and 106 for female patient. Ma'am, you need to complete the formalities.

Akshit: Ya we will. First, can we meet the patients and know about their health?

Receptionist nodded in understanding. She guides the path. Avni and Akshit went to the floor. They reached their wardroom to see a couple there.

Avni: Abhishek and Vaishnavi?

Man (nodded): Are you Avneet?

Avni nodded.

Man: They met with an accident. Because of the break failure, another car driver lost control and crashed with your brother's car. Dr operating on Abhishek and Vaishnavi died before reaching the hospital. Dr took Vaishnavi for post-mortem.

He explained. His words broke Avni's heart. It's difficult for her to believe his words.

Avni: Bhabhi

She mumbled as tears were continuously rolling down her cheeks. She sobbed, trying not to break down and be strong for her brother. Akshit wrapped his arm around her, rubbing her back. She hugged him and started crying more, hiding her face in his chest.

Akshit (to couple): Thank you for the help.

Man (nodded): I guess we should leave now.

Akshit nodded.

Woman (forwarding a packet): These things belong to Abhishek and Vaishnavi. Doctor handed them to me before taking them to OT. Their car is on Kalkar Road. Keys are in the packet only.

Akshit took it. The couple left.

Akshit (caressing her hair): Avni look at me. Calm down. Everything will be fine.

Avni (breaking the hug): How? Bhabhi... Bhabhi can come back? Bhai... Unko kya bolugi main? Hazel... Uska kya? I know mumma na ho to kaise feel hota hai. Vo choti bachi ki mumma nahi hai. How to explain her? Bhabhi was like my mother. I again lost my mother. Not only a mother she was like a sister, my friend. I lost her Akshit.

A sob escaped from her lips. He again pulled her in a hug.

Akshit: I am sorry. I am sorry.

He mumbled. Avni was crying silently. Just then a doctor came out of Abhi's room.

Akshit: Avni doctor is coming out.

Avni turned to see and ran towards the doctor.

Avni: Doctor how's my brother?

Dr: Your brother?

Avni: Yaa... I am Avneet, Abhishek's sister.

Doctor nodded as he got confirmation that she is looking for Abhishek only.

Dr: His condition is extremely critical. I don't want to give fake hopes. I will try my best. Aesi situations me dawa ke sath dua ki bhi jarurat hoti hai.

Doctor looked at Akshit. Akshit nodded. Doctor left.

Avni (covering her mouth): Critical? Bhai ko kuch nahi hoga na? Akshit... Tum bolo doctor ko bhai ko kuch na hone de. Tum bolo doctor ka. Main God ko bolti hoon. Temple... Kaha hai temple?

She looked around. She was stressed and panicked. Abhi and Vaish are her family, her everything. She already lost Vaish. She saw a temple and ran towards it.

Removing her sandals, she sat in front of the idol, joining her hands and closing her eyes. She kept asking for his brother's safety. Akshit knew this condition isn't easy for her. He sighed and walked towards her. He waited for her.

Two hours passed like this.

Avni was in the waiting area with Akshit. She was praying in her mind and a fear she already had. When her phone rang. It was Sid. While receiving the call, her eyes fell on time.

Sid: Avneet kaha ho? Boss se pata chala tum hospital gayi ho. Is everything alright?

Avni (sobbing): Bhai and Bhabhi met in an accident.

Sid (shocked): What? How they are?

Avni: Bhabhi couldn't survive. Doctor is operating on bhai but conditions are critical.

Sid (mumbles in shock): I am... I am coming

Avni: Sid?

Sid: Haan?

Avni: Hazel... Uska school time end hone ko hai.

Sid: I will bring her.

They hang up the call. Avni was waiting for doctor to come and tell her brother is safe.

To be continued

Stay tuned for next chapter