Fireflies (Maudie X Ezra)

I know this is kinda out of nowhere T_T
But I had free time, motivation and this was sitting in my drafts and was nearly finished. Ngl, this is so Takagi san coded T_T

Their 12.5 years old btwww

VERY RUSHED (has some moments tho :P)

solid 5/10

Maudie POV

I had just finished showering and was about to head to the kitchen for dinner when the doorbell rang. It was a bit odd because it was 8p.m. at night, and we weren't expecting anyone to come over.

"I'll get the door, dad!"

I ran down the stairs and went to the door, not caring that my hair was a bird's nest since I hadn't washed or combed it all day. I opened the door and was surprised to see Ezra standing in front of me with a small smile on his face. A wave of embarrassment washed over me since I didn't look presentable, but I tried to play it cool.

"Good evening, Maudie." He greeted.

"Good evening, Ezra." I smiled, leaning against the doorframe with my arms crossed. "What brings you here?"

Ezra took a deep breath and looked down.

"I was wondering if you would like to go see the fireflies with me."

My eyes widened. "As in right now?"

Ezra nodded and met my eyes with his. "Yes, my parents are driving and tagging along since it's already after curfew. Poppy is at a sleepover, so she can't join us." Then he turned around and pointed to his mum's car, where his parents were smiling and waving at me. "I know it's last minute, but..."

"Who's at the door, Mauds?" My dad asked, the sound of his walking footsteps progressively getting louder.

"It's Ezra." I said, turning around, expecting to see him.

He walked towards me, tossing a used rag on his right shoulder. "I see. What brings him here?"

"He was asking if I would like to see the fireflies with him and his parents right now," I informed him. "It is firefly season, so it's a great time to go."

"I would allow it, but you haven't had your dinner." Dad said, crossing his arms, "I won't allow you to go out with an empty stomach."

I turned to Ezra, feeling a bit bummed out. "Sorry, I can't go unless you—"

"Actually, my mum packed us some sandwiches to eat on our way; she even made you a salmon and peanut butter one because I told her it was your favorite." Ezra said, pulling two sandwich bags out of his book bag, "I'd even give mine to her if she still feels hungry."

I turned around and looked at Dad to see if he had changed his mind. "Can I go now?"

Dad smiled and nodded. "Sure, just be home before midnight."

"Very generous perimeters, thank you." I smiled and hugged him before turning back to Ezra. "Let me just get ready first; give me 5 minutes."

"Yeah, your hair is in need of a brush." Ezra mentioned trying not to laugh.

I rolled my eyes and smiled. "See you in the car, Ez."

Ezra POV

It was a silent ride to the park as Maudie and I snacked on our sandwiches, and since I already had dinner, I gave half of my sandwich to Maudie so she could fill up.

"I'm glad you invited me to see the fireflies with you and your parents." Maudie smiled, meeting my gaze.

I could feel myself melting in my seat as I tried to think of something to respond with.