I'll wait for you (Maudie X Ezra)

Story status: 7/10 (I was trying so hard to give a specific type of vibe and I got lazy at the end T_T and a bit out of character T_T)

I THINK I have checked it enough.

FEEL FREE TO COMMENT DOWN ANYTHING

Their 16-year-old in this story.

Maudie POV

"This looks like a great spot!"

I indicated a rope swing that was safely fastened to a large sycamore tree limb and had two seats for my friend and me. I was with a particular friend with whom I wanted to celebrate my 16th birthday alone with.

I excitedly reached out and grasped his soft yet bony hand, dragging him towards it. "Let's go!" I grinned eagerly as we drew closer and closer.

When we got there, I tapped the other seat with my left hand and said, "Join me, Ezra," as I sat down on one of the seats.

He settled down next to me and flashed me a quick smile, then we started swinging by moving our legs back and forth.

We gazed at the scenery, which was a lovely view of the woodland we had just walked through.

"So, you're 16 now," Ezra said out of the blue in a soft voice, as if we were in a very crowded room and he was about to tell me a secret. "Crazy how quickly time passes."

"Yeah, you're right. Time does pass quickly." I smiled as I watched a wedge-tailed eagle fly by. "Well, you turned 16 just a few months ago too so-"

"Oh yeah, I was born three months before you." Ezra realized, his eyes glistening, "Therefore I'm older-"

"I'm still more clever." I interrupted him smugly by placing my index finger on his lip.

I withdrew my hand from his face after our eyes met for a little while as we giggled and laughed.

He responded with a cheeky eye roll and said, "Fair enough, that's true."

"Though, it's sad that you're going to leave the country soon."

I looked at him and blinked, then noticed that his smile had disappeared as he was now staring down at his feet.

The sudden realization that I would soon be moving to England and that this would likely be my final birthday spent with Ezra in a long while had hit me like a ton of bricks.

It was safe to say that it made me feel very unhappy.

"Yeah, it is sad." I replied, mirroring Ezra's actions, "I really don't want to, but I have to."

As we swung on the rope swing and observed the sunset, it was completely silent between us. A light breeze was brushing against me as leaves and pollen flew in the wind's direction. Birds were chirping, and the crickets were beginning to emerge and make some noise.

When I felt a hand on mine, my eyes widened, and I made an effort not to react as I spoke the next few words.

"Ezra, is there anything you want to tell me before I leave?"

He didn't answer.

Instead, in a matter of seconds, he went from caressing my hand to linking it with his.

My heart suddenly began pumping a million beats per minute, and my brain was completely shut down. My lips were quivering, and I somehow heard beautiful classical music all of a sudden.