Chapter 1

Jennie

Today was the big day the day that I became Mrs. Kim. Like most others, I had the choice of selecting my own groom. Despite the fact that the proposal was advantageous to my family's business, I was not forced to marry.

Benefits of being a billionaire's daughter, my father wielded considerable weight in the business sector, as did my best friend, Lisa Manoban. But it wasn't Lisa I was marrying; it was Kim Jongin, the son of my father's friend. When Dad originally told me to think about this wedding proposal, I did so immediately because there was no purpose in putting it off.

After dating Kai for two months, I decided he was fine, and we decided to tie the knot once he officially proposed.

I looked in the mirror, fully dressed as a bride. I was dressed in a long white bridal gown with a flowing cape and sweetheart neckline, which was encrusted with crystals. My gray eyes were accented by some wispy, face-framing pieces, which matched the somewhat undone bun.

Despite being pleased with how I appeared, I took a deep breath. I got a horrible feeling about everything, which I knew I shouldn't have. I texted Lisa after shaking off the negative thoughts and overcoming my nervousness.

Jennie: where are you now? I'm anxious.

Lisa responded right away.

Lisa: I'll be right there. The conference took far longer than expected. But don't be anxious. I'll arrive on time.

I sighed and rolled my eyes. Despite my wedding, he had a meeting that he did not reschedule. He was a workaholic like Dad, so I was used to his gags.

Jennie: Please remember to meet me in my room just once more before the ceremony.

Lisa simply replied with a short 'Ok,' and I placed the phone back on the table while I checked my makeup.

I heard a light knock on the door. When I said, "Come in," the door opened, and my father greeted me with a bright smile.

"There she is, my princess," Dad exclaimed as he approached me. When I smiled at him, he said, "Your smile is as beautiful as your mother's—those same simple dimples. You know, I always wanted you to get your mother's smile. She would be proud of you if she was here." He put his palm over my head, his eyes hazy.

"Dad, she's proud, and I know it; all I want is for you to be happy, and don't forget what you promised to me," I told him, which made him laugh.

I urged Dad find a life companion for himself since, after Mom died, all he did was devote his entire life to properly raising me and running his business.

I urged him to find him a new lover, but he said he would only do it after my wedding.

"Yes, Ma'am," he answered politely, causing me to break out laughing. "You look gorgeous, dear, and I am proud for you."

"Thanks, Dad."

To avoid getting upset in front of me, he queried, "Is Lisa coming the wedding ceremony, or is he delayed in a meeting?" Of course, he adored Lisa.

"He's heading this way," I told Dad.

"Good to know," Dad commented after a time, as I scrolled through my phone, "that guy should think about his love life too; I had a daughter when I was entirely into business, but he's only twenty-seven and no sign of a woman, let alone being married."

I let out a sigh. "You know him, Dad. He's arrogant and rude to almost everyone, except his friends and family. But women run away right after encountering his ruthless nature. They don't stick around to see his soft side, and I don't blame them. That guy takes way too long opening up. Seriously, I'm worried about him. Is there any woman on this planet who will tolerate Lisa Manoban?"

"There was," said a familiar voice through the door. "You can tolerate me, Jennie," Lisa said, his hands in his pockets just like they usually were. He looked handsome in his tuxedo. Despite the fact that he looked proficient in anything.

When I saw him, I couldn't help but smile. "Lisa," I said as I ran up to hug him. He reciprocated my hug. "Well, I can tolerate you because you tolerate me; it's only fair, right?" he shrugged. "Anyway, now that your best friend is getting married, you need to find an eternal partner as well." Obviously, he was aware of the commitment I made to Dad.

Lisa surrendered by raising his hands. "No promises," he stated, turning to face my father. "Good day, Mr. Kim."

As they shaking hands, Dad laughed. "I'm doing well for the moment beings. Is everything going well in business? We didn't meet much after our deal terminated two months ago, but I'm planning to rescind it. What do you think?"

"I have the files ready; all I need is your signature," Lisa said.

I rolled my eyes forward and pulled them apart. "No work discussion on my special day," I stood emphatically between them.

Dad laughed. "Fine, I'll give you two some alone time," he said as he exited the room, leaving Lisa and me alone.

I took a deep breath and turned to face Lisa. "So, when are you planning on returning to Thailand?" I knew he was often rushed for time. Always this meeting, that deal, and furthermore.

"I had been scheduled to go back three days ago, but I couldn't bear to miss your wedding, so I'll stay until tonight and leaving tomorrow morning," Lisa stated with a smile.

My lips also formed a smile. Of course, even though he was constantly occupied, he always managed to find time for me into his busy schedule.

He took my hand and frowned at my engagement ring. "No offense to it, but Jongin has poor choice."

"Pardon ?" I said, raised my brow.

"Well, not in the case of girls," Lisa immediately interjected.

"Good save, or you would have found yourself blocked on every social media platform by me," I said, and he laughed. "Hey, how do I look?" I stepped back from our proximity and stood farther away, a hand on my hip.

Lisa twisted his lips and looked at me from head to toe. "You look to be in fine form."

"Just fine?" I said, horrified. "Lisa Manoban, I didn't spend five hours on makeup and two hours on my hair just to hear I look fine." I glanced in my room mirror, attempting to identify defects that Lisa was surely noticing, but I couldn't find any.

Was I looking bad? Why should I do this on my wedding day? Oh my goodness.

When I heard a burst of lovely laughter softening the tense atmosphere, my train of thought was shattered. Lisa could be seen giggling in the mirror in front of me.

Oh, no, he was kidding. He was unbelievable!

With a sigh of sadness, I shook my head and sat down in a huff. Even on my wedding day, he was messing with me. Why does he have to jokes with such a solemn expression? I completely trust him all of the time.

I could suddenly sense minty breath at my ear from behind. I kept my gaze fixed on the mirror. Lisa leaned forward, his head almost touching my left shoulder, causing my breath to catch.

He needed to stop making me feel that way. For God's sake, I was getting married today.

Lisa placed a few strands of my hair behind my ear with his chilly fingers and murmured into my ear, "You look absolutely gorgeous, Jennie. No one will be able to take their eyes off you today when you walk down the aisle."

When Lisa looked in the mirror, our gazes locked for a brief time. Because he stayed in Thailand and I in Korea, our friendship was largely long-distance. However, each time we met, I felt different with him--which was the initial explanation I agreed to date Jongin in order to avoid thinking about Lisa too much.

Kim Jennie, you're being married today, I told myself as I averted my sight.

"Thank you," I whispered as I arose from my chair and made my way to the closet area. "I forgot to wear my bracelet," I said as I closed the closet door, Lisa still in my bedroom.

I opened the third drawer and took out the diamond bracelet with three little stars inscribed with my name 'JENNIE', which Lisa had given me for my birthday last year. Despite his hectic schedule, he flew to see me at midnight to wish me good luck.

I held to the bracelet closer to my breast, thinking about if marrying Kim Jongin was a wise decision.