Chapter 2

Jennie

When I came out of the closet room, I noticed Lisa had already left my room.

When I checked the time on my phone, it was nearly five o'clock in the evening. I'd be on my way to church in an hour. I was getting married at the chapel my family owned, which was about a ten-minute drive away.

Jennie, no more overthinking. You'll feel happy with Jongin. This is the best decision.

I sat on my bed, taking a few long breaths. My hand fell on a small piece of white paper. I opened it and discovered the same clean handwriting,

'Don't be anxious. I'll always be by your side.'

When I saw the message Lisa had left for me, a smile appeared on my lips. He could have texted me, but he knew how much I enjoyed receiving letters, big or tiny. He truly knew me the best.

I saw a few texts from Jongin, including one in which he asked to view my picture, but I didn't see his text and cleared the notification. I couldn't figure out why I wasn't interested in chatting to him right now. There were more pressing concerns.

Now that I had an hour, I decided to rehearse my wedding dance moves. What if I tripped in front of everyone and the paparazzi, who were specially invited by my father, spread the word of embarrassment like wildfire?

Standing up, I began to move my heavy robe in small steps. It was quite difficult to practice without a partner. It undoubtedly looked silly as well.

I began dancing after playing music from my phone. While I was immersed in

I didn't notice Lisa had left the door open until after the dance.

As soon as my gaze was drawn to the door, a startled gasp from my lips, and I slapped a palm over my chest. "Oh my God, Lisa, you scared the shit out of me; why are you standing there like a creep?"

Lisa was resting against the door frame, arms crossed, and a faint smirk on his lips as he watched me. "Your dance..." he began, but I cut him off.

"Is it looking horrible, right?" I finished it for him. "I understand, but I require a

I need a practice partner because I cannot complete these steps alone.

Otherwise, that person would believe I was insane instead of you."

"Who said I don't think you're crazy?" he asked, raising his brows.

"Because you already know it, so you don't even have to think," I deadpanned.

Lisa entered my room one more. "Why are you practicing this at the last minute?" he questioned, his hands in his pockets. "I'm sure you and Jongin practiced a lot."

I let out a sigh. "I don't know. What if I trip while dancing with Jongin in front of thousands of people? It will be so embarrassing that I'll dig my grave there after I dig yours."

"Why will you dig my grave?" he asked, his face furrowed in perplexity.

"I can't die alone, now can I?" I asked innocently, looking at him with my gray eyes.

His eyes widened like saucers as soon as I said that. Lisa shook his head and offered his hand to me, which perplexed me. "I can be your partner," he quietly replied.

"Dance partner, for now," he said, "though I know you'll do just fine, if you dance perfectly once for now, it will ease your nervousness and assure you that you won't trip at least."

I simply nodded. "You are correct," I said, placing my palm over his and staring into his green eyes. Lisa slid my hand over his shoulder and grabbed my waist.

The song continued to play as we began to sway softly together, our eyes locked.

I was striving to keep up with the slow pace when my right foot slipped as a result of one false step. Lisa snatched me back, preventing me from falling. My hands were now around his shoulders as we swayed softly.

That blunder was enough to kill any remaining dance confidence I had.

"I'm forgetting the steps, Lisa," I exclaimed, panicking.

"It's okay, you're just nervous," he tried to reassure me.

"What if I fall on my face out there?" I wondered, my voice trembling. I never expected to get cold feet so close to the wedding, but here I was.

Lisa smiled broadly, his dimples showing. He drew me closer to him and said, "I will catch you every time you fall, Jennie, and I will always be by your side."

His comments were comforting, and I felt a little relieved. Lisa was a man of words, so I knew he meant everything he said. He would always be there for me, no matter what.

I simply want to get past this wedding once and for all. It was driving me insane.

The door slammed open, and a ginger woman dashed over to us. One of my guards entered my room and said, "Excuse me, miss, you have to leave from here."

Lisa and I pushed each other slightly. While I was looking at the crying ginger woman, Lisa went to turn off the music on my phone.

"Are you okay, miss?" I inquired. I took the glass of water that was on the tray nearby and offered it to her.

"Here, drink this."

"Ma'am Jennie, I'm sorry," the guard apologized. "She just burst in, and—"

"It's okay," I said to the guard. "You may leave."

Lisa escorted me to a corner of my room after the guard had left.

"Jennie, are you sure it's safe to let a stranger stay here? She looks like a maniac," Lisa asked, his voice concerned.

I simply nodded. "It's fine, Lisa. Let's see why she's here, and don't worry about her being crazy; you'll stay by my side while I talk to her."

"So you're making me your bodyguard after you've made your actual guard?"

"Leave," Lisa said, as if he had solved the world's greatest conundrum.

"Don't blame me; you said you'd always be by my side," I told him. "Now let's go and ask her what's wrong."

We approached the woman, who was inspecting my room with her eyes.

"What brought you here, miss?" I cleared my throat.

"Please don't marry Kim Jongin," the woman said, her brown eyes welling up with tears.

"Huh?" I puzzledly lifted my brows. "Why?"

"Because I was carrying his baby."