Chapter 19

Jennie

When I stepped into our bedroom the next morning, lisa wasn't there. He must have left for work early, like yesterday.

I sighed.

I wanted to sleep for a longer time. Lily and Chiquita were going to let me skip breakfast with family today because of my period, but my sleep was disturbed when the two of them woke up for their respective reasons. Since I was already up, why bother missing the breakfast? I should probably try to sleep some more after breakfast.

While last night was really fun with the girls, I couldn't quite concentrate fully. My fight with lisa was always in the back of my head.

I stormed off for no reason last night. I should have handled that like an actual adult, not a rebellious teenager. However, I was glad lisa gave me some space to think calmly and didn't bother me. I really appreciated that about him.

I decided to take a bath since I hadn't yesterday, so I went to my closet room. Being in a mood of yellow, I pulled out a lemon color skirt that reached up to my heel and a white top. I went back to our bedroom and put the clothes on the bed. It was such a trouble to go back and forth between the two rooms. I wonder if lisa will ever make space for my things in his closet room.

After a somewhat long bath, I wore my bathrobe and got out.

I started to take my bathrobe off until I heard the bedroom door open, accompanied by a scream, "Fucking hell!"

Instantly, I wore my bathrobe back, my eyes widening in shock as I turned back to the door of our bedroom only to find lisa.

"What the fuck are you doing here?" both of us asked at the same time. "I thought you were still sleeping in Chiquita's room," he replied.

"Well, I thought you went to your office already."

"You should've locked the damn door. Oh, dear God," he mumbled.

I rolled my eyes. "How could I have known you were still at home when the room had no sign of you?" He was the only person who could come into the room without knocking, after all.

"I was working in my study until now. Plus, I'm leaving for work a little later today."

"How could I have known that?"

"Well, now you do," he retorted.

"A text would've been fine then," I pointed out.

"So I'm supposed to update you about every little thing through the text like when I'm going in and out of the room?" he asked sarcastically.

"No, but marriage is all about sharing, isn't it?"

"Can you really say that after you walked out of our conversation last night?"

I let out a sigh, my head starting to fume again. "Can you just get out now and let me get ready?"

He opened his mouth like he had something to say but

closed it again and said, "Okay." He was about to leave, but I asked, "Wait. What did you exactly mean by you were leaving for work a little later? How late is a 'little later"?"

"Until 4 pm," he answered curtly and didn't wait for me to ask more as he just left. A knowing smile formed on my lips. Chiquita didn't have part-time today, so she would be coming home straight from school, just around that time.

Lisa was definitely here so that I wasn't left alone with kai again in the house. He always tried to be so subtle, but really, he wasn't. My anger melted away at the thought of how much he cared about me.

∆∆∆

"Hey, Jen," kai called out while I was on my way to the study to poke Lisa around the late morning.

I stopped walking and waited for him to reach me.

"Hey, kai," I said casually.

"Where are you heading to?"

"To be with lisa. He's not leaving for office until late afternoon today." Kai gave a tight-lipped smile. "He must love you a lot
that he's giving you all the time he can."

I nodded my head with a smile. Whether lisa loves me or not, it was our business and I definitely couldn't let kai know anything personal about lisa and me.

"If you get bored while talking to lisa since he will be busy working too, don't forget I am still here. I'll be glad to give you company." Kai placed a hand over my shoulder, caressing it slightly.

I took a step back, casually brushing his hand off. "Thanks, but don't worry about it. I don't think lisa will ever bore me. I could just sit there staring at him and still feel entertained. So talk to you later." With that, I rushed to lisa's study without looking back.

I closed the door behind me and released a relieved sigh.

Lisa shifted his gaze from the screen of the laptop to me. "Were you running?"

"Yeah," I answered honestly.

"Why?"

"I was scared." I didn't lie, though. I was scared of the way kai touched me. It made me feel so... disgusting.

Lisa chuckled. "There aren't any ghosts in the daylight."

"But there's kai," I couldn't help but mumble.

His eyes snapped in my direction. "He is a bad ghost, no doubt, but did he scare you, jen?"

I took my phone and started to read a novel on Wattpad, leaving him unanswered. He didn't ask me anything else, though I could feel his occasional glance at me. It was better to leave it at that for now.

∆∆∆

"Lisa," I spoke up once I finished reading the novel I had picked up yesterday.

"Hmm?" he hummed in response.

"I can't share anything openly with you ever since we got married," I admitted suddenly. I had been trying not to think about it, but the novel's ending made me think hard. I needed to talk things out with him.

He arched an eyebrow. "Why?"

"I feel like everything has changed. Earlier, I could share everything I wanted with you, but now, it becomes different when I try."

"What makes you think that everything changed?" he asked curiously.

"Before our wedding, you were just my best friend. But now, you are my husband at first, so it's bound for everything to change," I explained.

Lisa thought for a while and got up from his chair, making his way to the couch I was sitting on. He kneeled on the floor and grabbed my hands in his, looking deeply into my eyes.

"Look, jen. Today, I want to promise you that come what may, we will always be friends first before being a married couple. You were, are, and will always be my best friend. Trust me, I don't ever want to change between us."

My heart warmed up at his words. He sounded so promising, and I knew he was anything but a promise-breaker.

"Thank you, lis. I promise you the same."

He smiled and tucked a hair strand of mine behind my ear. "Good."

"So I want to tell you something, but you have to promise not to get angry, okay?"

"Sure," he urged me to continue.

"Kai has been acting weird with me. I might be overthinking, but at the same time, I might not be. Even when I was making my way here, he stopped me and acted unusually. He touched my shoulder, and I swear I felt so weird I could throw up," I told lisa.

And surprisingly, he didn't even react that much. He acted normal and calm, which made me doubt him. Who was this calm person? Why wasn't he already on his way to bash kai's head?

"So what do you think?" I asked him after I told him everything from the beginning in detail.

"I think now that you have cleared whatever was going on in your mind, I should get to work." He got up, kissed my forehead, and went to sit on his chair, leaving me completely clueless about what he was actually thinking.