The Sorting

All the students arrived at Hogwarts and were greeted by Professor McGonagall, an old lady with glasses and a really funny hat.

"Welcome to Hogwarts. In a few moments, you will all pass through these doors and be sorted into your houses. The four houses are Gryffindor, Hufflepuff, Ravenclaw, and Slytherin."

She paused and smiled at the kids. "Now then, if there are no more questions, please follow me."

The students all began to follow her. Oliver was walking alongside Harry, with Hermione on the other side of him, when he felt an arm wrap around his shoulders. It was his brother, Henry.

"I see you made it to the castle in one piece, Ollie," he said, walking beside him. He glanced at Harry and Hermione. "And it looks like you managed to make some friends. You didn't even think to introduce me to them?" he said in a fake offended tone.

Oliver put his arm on Harry's shoulder. "This is Harry Potter," he introduced.

Harry looked over and smiled at Henry. "Hello," he said cheerfully.

Oliver pointed just beyond Harry to Ron, who was walking next to Draco Malfoy, giving him an earful about how rich he is and how he's better than everyone else.

"The red-haired guy over there is Ron Weasley," Oliver said.

"No way, are you really Harry Potter?" Henry said in amazement. "Can I see your scar?"

Harry lifted his hair, revealing his forehead with the lightning bolt-shaped scar on his head.

"That's wicked! I'm Ollie's older brother, Henry. Pleasure to meet you," he said, offering his hand for a handshake.

Henry then turned to Hermione, who was listening to their conversation. "And who might this lovely lady be?" Henry asked.

"Don't worry about her," Oliver said quickly. "She's not important."

Hermione raises her eyebrow. "Actually, Henry, I'm Hermione Granger. Nice to meet you," she says with a very condescending smile.

Henry smiles at her. "Nice to meet you, Hermione. Don't mind my brother; he can be a bit of a knob sometimes."

Hermione laughs. "That, we can agree on."

The students all arrive at the Great Hall and take their seats around the large tables. Oliver sits between Harry and Ron, while Hermione sits across from them.

"I wonder what house I'm gonna get," Ron wonders. "Anything but Slytherin, hopefully."

"What's wrong with Slytherin?" Oliver asks. "It has the coolest name."

Ron begins to explain but is cut off by Hermione.

"Most dark wizards were in Slytherin during their time at Hogwarts. Have you ever read a book, Oliver?" Hermione mocked.

"I don't remember asking you, princess," Oliver retorted.

Hermione's face turned a little red.

"Enough, both of you," McGonagall's stern voice echoed as she intervened in the tension between Oliver and Hermione.

The entire room fell silent, all eyes fixated on the Transfiguration professor.

"It is time for everyone to be sorted," she declared, pulling out a lengthy piece of parchment from her pocket. "When I call your name, step forward and I shall place the Sorting Hat on your head."

"Ronald Weasley," she called out.

Ron looked very nervous, but Harry extended an arm to offer support, placing it on Ron's shoulder. Ron stood up and walked toward the seat in front of everyone.

McGonagall gently placed the Sorting Hat on Ron's head.

"Gryffindor!" the hat exclaimed loudly.

Ron breathed a sigh of relief and joined his fellow Gryffindors at their table.

"Harry Potter," McGonagall called out next.

The room was in awe as the one and only Harry Potter sat in front of them, waiting to be sorted. Oliver squinted his eyes, trying to make out any words that Harry might be quietly mouthing as the Sorting Hat was placed upon his head.

Though Oliver strained to hear, he couldn't quite make out what Harry was saying.

"Gryffindor!" the Sorting Hat shouted out.

Harry also breathed a sigh of relief and took a seat next to Ron at the Gryffindor table.

"Oliver Montclair," McGonagall called out next.

Oliver stood up from the table, glancing at Hermione who threw him a disapproving look.

"I sure hope I'm not in the same house as her," he thought to himself.

Oliver sat back down as McGonagall carefully positioned the Sorting Hat over his jet black hair.

"Gryffindor!" the hat bellowed triumphantly.

Oliver was kind of hoping to be sorted into Slytherin, mostly because it sounded cool, but he was also happy to see a few familiar faces in Gryffindor. He took a seat at the Gryffindor table, exchanging high fives with Harry and Ron. Glancing over at his brother Henry, who wore a disappointed expression as a Hufflepuff. Oliver couldn't help but feel a mix of emotions.

"Hermione Granger!" McGonagall finally called out.

As Hermione got up to be sorted, Oliver crossed his fingers and looked up at the ceiling, closing his eyes. "Please not Gryffindor, please not Gryffindor," he repeated under his breath.

Struggling to fit the hat onto Hermione's head due to her abundant hair, McGonagall silently placed it on her. The room fell into a hushed silence, everyone eagerly awaiting Hermione's house assignment. The anticipation was agonizing for Oliver.

"Gryffindor," the hat blurted out finally.

No!" Oliver cried out, his voice filled with disappointment, as everyone cheered for Hermione. He put his head down on the table in frustration.

Hermione, unaffected by Oliver's reaction, walked over and confidently took a seat directly across from him.

"Hello again," she said sarcastically, a hint of amusement in her voice.

Oliver slowly lifted his head, glancing at Harry with a pleading expression. "Please, put me out of my misery," he pleaded to Harry, hoping for some words of comfort.

"She's not that bad," Harry told him, trying to offer some reassurance.

Hermione smiled at Harry, appreciating his support, as Oliver shot her a repulsive look, unable to hide his displeasure.