Detention

After a restful and joyful Christmas break with his family, Oliver returned to Hogwarts. He had been thinking about Hermione ever since she kissed him on the cheek before he left. Oliver walked into the Hogwarts library and was greeted by the sound of students whispering and the scratching of quills.

Oliver spotted Harry, Ron, and Hermione sitting at a table together. "Hello, my friends," Oliver said while walking up to them.

Both Harry and Ron looked up from their books to greet Oliver, while Hermione remained completely engrossed in her book, oblivious to the fact that Oliver was right in front of her.

"Oliver, you're back," Harry said.

"Yeah, mate, we missed you," Ron added.

Oliver smiled at them and then looked at Hermione. He waved his hand in front of Hermione's face to break her concentration. "Hellooo, is this the warm welcome I get after not seeing you for almost a month?" Oliver said sarcastically.

Hermione looked up and saw Oliver, her face instantly lighting up. "Oliver, it's great to see you again," she said, all giddy.

"It's great to be back. I didn't realize how much I missed this place or how much I'd miss a certain someone," Oliver said with a sly smile.

"Awe, thanks Oliver," Harry said jokingly.

"Shut up, Potter," Oliver said, laughing while sitting down.

Hermione casually buried her face back in her book, trying to hide her beet-red face.

"Anyway, we found out some things while you were gone, Oliver," Harry said.

"Is that so? Alright, lay it on me."

Harry explained how they had learned about the Sorcerer's Stone and how Snape was trying to steal it to give to Lord Voldemort.

"Wait, the Sorcerer's what?" Oliver questioned in confusion.

"The Sorcerer's Stone," Harry repeated. "It's a stone that can make anyone younger and thus delay death. That's why 'you know who' wants it."

"Okay, and what does that have to do with us?" Oliver questioned again.

"We have to stop Snape from getting it and giving it to 'you know who'," Ron said.

"Guys, we are only eleven years old. How are we going to stop a grown wizard from getting that stone? Besides, we're under Dumbledore's protection. I'm sure nothing bad will happen as long as he's in charge," Oliver explained.

"That's the thing," Harry began. "Dumbledore thinks Snape is on our side, but he's really not. That's why he tried cursing my broom in that Quidditch match."

"Okay, I will admit that was some pretty solid evidence at the Quidditch game. Have you told Dumbledore?" Oliver questioned.

"He probably won't believe us," Hermione interjected.

"The only person we told was Hagrid," Harry said.

"The big, bushy groundskeeper?" Oliver asked.

"Yes, we're going to his hut tonight to ask him some questions. Are you coming?" Harry asked.

"Do I really have a choice?" Oliver rhetorically asked.

"Nope," Hermione said with a smile.

Later that night, the four of them sneaked out of their dormitory and made their way to Hagrid's hut. They knocked on the door, and Hagrid opened it.

"Oh, hello. Sorry, not to be rude, but I'm in no state to entertain your little questions today. Goodbye," he said, shutting the door.

"We know about the Sorcerer's Stone," Ron, Harry, and Hermione all said in unison.

"Oh," Hagrid said, opening the door back up. He walked back into his house, and the kids followed him inside.

Harry, Ron, and Hermione all began taking off their robes and sitting on Hagrid's furniture. Hagrid turned to Oliver, not recognizing him.

"Hello, I don't believe I've had the pleasure of meeting you. Rubeus Hagrid at your service," he said, extending his very large hand.

"Oliver Montclair," he said, grabbing Hagrid's gigantic hand. Hagrid pretty much lifted Oliver off the ground while shaking his hand.

"Sorry about that, guess I don't know me own strength," Hagrid said, laughing.

"We think Snape is trying to steal it," Harry said, getting right to business.

"Snape? You lot still aren't on about him, are ya?" Hagrid said in annoyance.

"We know he's after the stone; we just don't know why," Harry continued.

"Snape is one of the Hogwarts teachers protecting the stone," Hagrid said while cooking something over the fire.

"What?" Harry questioned

"You heard me. Now I'm a bit preoccupied at the moment, so can you lot please leave?" Hagrid said, motioning them out the door.

Before they could get up, they saw Draco Malfoy's face in the window. He ran away when he realized he had been spotted.

"Malfoy!" Harry yelled.

"Oh dear," Hagrid said, worriedly. "You lot better get back to bed quickly."

The four of them quickly tried to run back to their dorms, but were intercepted by Professor McGonagall on their way to their dormitory. "Good evening," she said in a stern tone as Malfoy emerged from behind her.

She called them into her classroom, and they all stood around her desk. "Nothing, I repeat, nothing gives you the right to walk around the school at night. Therefore, as punishment for your actions, fifty points will be taken from your house."

"Fifty?" Oliver said in disbelief.

"Each," McGonagall added. "And to ensure it doesn't happen again, the five of you will receive detention."

Malfoy stepped up, with his smug look wiped away. "Excuse me, Professor, perhaps I heard wrong. It sounded like you said the five of us."

"You heard me correctly, Mr. Malfoy," McGonagall said. "However noble your intentions were, you too were out of bed after hours."

Oliver laughed at Malfoy, saying, "Hahaha!"

"That is enough, Mr. Montclair. You all will go straight to bed now," she ordered.