Flying class

"Good afternoon, class," Madam Hooch greeted.

"Good afternoon, Madam Hooch," the class responded.

"Today will be your first flying lesson," she announced. "Everyone, step up to the left side of your broomstick and say 'up'."

"Up," Harry said, and his broomstick immediately came up on his first try.

After saying "up" a few times, Oliver's broomstick came up to his hands. Hermione, standing right next to him, gave him a look of disbelief as she struggled to get her broom to come up.

"Ah, little miss know-it-all can't get her broomstick up," Oliver laughed mockingly.

"Of course I can," Hermione replied in an annoyed tone.

Up," she said, but the broom didn't move. "Up," she said again, getting even more agitated. Again, the broom did not budge.

"It must not like you, what a shocker," Oliver said.

"Shut up, Oliver," Hermione yelled back.

Oliver heard a loud thud while he was laughing at Hermione. Ron's broom had come up and hit him in the face. Oliver and Harry were now laughing at that.

"This class is great," Oliver said to Harry.

"Now," Hooch said, walking between all the students, "once you have a hold of your broom, I want you to mount it, hold it tight, and kick off the ground. Come straight back down after you ascend."

Neville Longbottom immediately ascended into the air. He got about fifty feet in the air before falling off his broom, landing hard on his wrist.

"Oh dear, that's a broken wrist," Hooch said, disappointed. "Everyone, keep practicing while I escort Longbottom to the nurse."

Hooch picked up Neville and walked off, leaving the class unattended.

Draco Malfoy noticed a round ball that had fallen out of Neville's pocket and picked it up. "Maybe if the fat lump had given this a squeeze, he would have remembered to land on his fat ass."

"Give it here, Malfoy," Harry said, stepping right up to Draco.

Oliver made his way right beside Harry, just in case something was about to go down. He had his friend's back.

"No," Draco replied. "I think I'll leave it somewhere for Longbottom to find." Draco hopped on his broom. "Perhaps on the roof."

Draco flew up in the air on his broomstick. "What's the matter, Potter? A bit out of your reach?" Draco said, suspended in the air.

Harry hopped on his broom, about to take off, when Hermione tried to stop him. "Harry, no. You heard what Madam Hooch said. Plus, you don't even know how to fly a broom."

Harry ignored her and flew up into the air. "What an idiot," Hermione said.

"Shut up, Hermione," Oliver said.