The Troll

It was another beautiful day at Hogwarts, and the kids were in class, learning the levitation charm. "Wingardium leviosa," Oliver said, trying to get his feather to levitate. The feather did not move an inch. "Wingardium leviosa," Oliver repeated angrily. Once again, nothing happened, and Oliver began to bang his wand on the desk out of frustration.

"Stop, stop," Hermione said, sitting next to him. "You're going to hurt someone doing that. I don't think it's the wand's fault that you can't pull off this charm."

"Oh yeah, then you do it," Oliver said.

Hermione pointed her wand at her feather. "Wingardium Leviosa," she said. Her feather began levitating all the way up to the ceiling.

Oliver sunk his head down into his arms on the table out of embarrassment, as Hermione laughed at him.

Soon, class was over, and Oliver was walking with Harry and Ron.

"I don't think it's the wand's fault you can't do this charm," Oliver said in a mocking voice. "She's a complete nightmare; no wonder why she doesn't have any friends."

Oliver then felt someone bump into him from behind. "Hey, watch it, buddy," he said, annoyed.

It was Hermione, and she was crying.

"I think she heard you," Harry said.

"Oh, now you've done it," Ron said.

Oliver couldn't help but feel bad.

Later that night, during the big Halloween feast, Oliver planned on apologizing to Hermione. He sat down and waited for her to show up, but she never did.

"Where's Hermione?" Oliver asked Harry and Ron.

Harry shrugged his shoulders.

"I thought you'd be happy not having to deal with her, Oliver," Ron said.

Neville leaned over towards Oliver and said, "I heard she's been crying in the girls' bathroom all day. She refuses to come out."

Oliver was overcome with guilt. Without saying anything, he stood up and walked out of the Great Hall, headed for the girls' bathroom. He reached the girls' bathroom door and could hear Hermione crying inside.

"Uh, hi Hermione. Could you come out here, please?" Oliver asked, his voice filled with concern as he knocked on the door.

Hermione's muffled sobs could be heard from inside the room. "Go away," she replied, choked with tears.

"Please, Hermione, I have something I really have to say to you," Oliver pleaded.

With hesitant footsteps, Hermione finally emerged from the bathroom, her eyes red and puffy from crying. Oliver's heart sank as he witnessed her pain.

"What do you want, Oliver? Are you gonna call me a know-it-all again? Or rub the fact that you actually have friends in my face?" Hermione's words were laced with bitterness and hurt.

Oliver's remorse was evident as he spoke, trying to convey the sincerity in his words. "No, Hermione, I'm not gonna do any of that. I'm genuinely sorry for everything I said about you. I shouldn't have treated you that way."

Hermione's anger softened into a mixture of sadness and vulnerability. Her voice trembled as she shared her inner struggles. "It's so hard for me, coming to this magical school without knowing anything about it. I was raised by Muggles, and I often feel like I don't belong here. I thought if I studied hard and appeared knowledgeable, maybe people would want to be my friend. But clearly, that hasn't worked, and now I'm considering transferring out."

Oliver's heart ached as he watched Hermione break down once more. Tears welled up in his own eyes, realizing the tremendous pain he had caused her.

"I'm so sorry, Hermione. I never considered what it must be like for you. Personally, I just wing it, and so does Harry, but I understand that's not the best approach for everyone. I truly am sorry," Oliver confessed, his voice filled with genuine remorse.

Feeling a mix of gratitude and comfort, Hermione looked up at Oliver with tear-stained cheeks. "I appreciate your apology, Oliver. All I wanted was a friend so I wouldn't feel so isolated and lonely."

A smile played on Oliver's face as he reassured her. "Of course, Hermione. We've been friends ever since we met on that train. I know I haven't always shown it, but I genuinely enjoy your company."

Hermione's eyes widened, a glimmer of hope shining in them. "Really?" she asked, in both surprise and relief.

"Really," Oliver replied, his smile widening. Without hesitation, Hermione threw her arms around Oliver, embracing him in a tight hug.

"Thank you, Oliver," she whispered.

They stood there embracing each other for a few precious moments. Hermione finally let go of Oliver.

"Now let's go to the Great Hall and get something to eat. I don't know about you, but I'm starving," Oliver said, their shared laughter breaking the heaviness of the moment.

Before they could start walking, they heard a loud thud coming from the end of the hallway. They saw a huge troll walking down the hall, smashing everything in sight.

"What the hell?" Oliver screamed. The troll was heading right for them. Hermione screamed bloody murder.

"In the bathroom, go!" Oliver shouted, motioning for Hermione to follow him. Hermione entered, and Oliver locked the door behind her. It was no use when the troll just smashed the door down.

Oliver pulled Hermione behind him to protect her.

The Troll lifted its club up to smash them, but before it could, something bonked him in the back of the head. The Troll turned around to see what hit him. It was Harry and Ron, throwing pieces of debris at the creature. The Troll started walking towards Harry and Ron.

"Do something!" Hermione shouted at Oliver.

"Like what?" Oliver replied.

"Take out your wand and drop the club on his head," Hermione said.

"You know I can't do that spell," Oliver said.

"Yes, you can. I believe in you. Now flick and swoosh," Hermione said encouragingly.

Oliver took out his wand and shouted, "Wingardium Leviosa."

The club in the troll's hand suddenly flew out of his grip just as he was about to smack Harry with it. Shocked by what he had just accomplished, Oliver stood there, staring at the floating club for a few seconds.

"Drop it on his head," Hermione said.

The club dropped right onto the troll's head, leaving it dazed. It tried to walk it off but ended up falling down at the other end of the hallway.

"Did I just do that?" Oliver shouted in amazement.

"Yes, you did," Hermione said proudly, giving him another hug.

"Hell yeah, I'm a wizard!" Oliver declared.

Hermione giggled at his declaration.

Ron and Harry looked at them from down the hallway. "No way, are they actually getting along?" Ron asked.

"I think so," Harry replied with a smile.