First Class

Oliver woke up in the dormitory, having slept like a baby through the night. He rolled over and glanced at his alarm clock. The time read 7:05 AM.

"Oh no," Oliver exclaimed. "I'm late!"

In a rush, Oliver jumped out of bed, quickly getting dressed and grabbing all his materials. As he hurriedly prepared himself, he noticed that Harry was still fast asleep.

"Harry, wake up! We're late!" he shouted.

Startled, Harry sat up, wiping the sleep out of his eyes. "What?" he groggily responded.

"Our first class started at 7 AM, and it's 7:05 now," Oliver stressed, feeling the urgency.

Hurrying as fast as they could, they arrived at McGonagall's Transfiguration class at 7:15. They opened the door and walked in, only to find that McGonagall was nowhere to be seen.

"I think we're in the clear. It doesn't look like McGonagall is here," Oliver whispered to Harry.

Suddenly, a cat sitting on the desk up front transformed into McGonagall. Oliver's jaw hit the floor, and he was stunned at what he had just witnessed. "Oh my god," he managed to say. "How did you do that?"

"Perhaps it would be more useful if I transfigured you and Mr. Potter into a pocket watch," she said, ignoring Oliver's question. "Maybe then you'll be on time."

"Sorry, we got lost," Harry said.

"Then perhaps a map," McGonagall said. "I trust you won't need one to find your seats."

Harry and Oliver took a seat in front of Hermione, who was rolling her eyes at them. The class went by pretty fast, and it was time for the next one. Oliver had Potions class with Professor Snape. He also had a hard time finding this class, but eventually did.

When he finally arrived, he saw that all the seats were taken except for one next to Hermione. Oliver groaned in absolute anguish.

"What did I do to deserve this?" Oliver thought to himself.

He plopped down next to Hermione, who immediately scooted away from him.

"I see you managed to find your class this time. How nice," she said with a sarcastic smile.

Before Oliver could say anything back, a scary-looking man dressed in all black came storming into the room.

"There will be no foolish wand waving or silly behavior in this class," he said, standing in front of the class. "I don't expect any of you to appreciate the art that is potion making, but for the select few that do, I can teach you how to bewitch the mind and ensnare the senses."

Snape looked around the class, noticing Harry writing in his notebook.

"Then again, maybe some of you came to Hogwarts with formidable skills that made you confident enough to not pay attention," Snape yelled out.

Harry didn't notice Snape was talking to him. "I think he's talking to you, mate," Ron said, leaning over and nudging Harry.

"Ah, yes, Harry Potter," Snape said with amusement. "Our newest celebrity. Tell me, what would you get if you added powdered root of asphodel to an infusion of wormwood?"

Hermione's hand immediately went up in the air, but Harry just shook his head.

"You don't know?" Snape said. "Let's try again then. Mr. Potter, tell me, where would you look if I asked you to find me a bezoar?"

Hermione's hand immediately went up again as Harry said, "I don't know, sir."

"For crying out loud," Oliver whispered, grabbing Hermione's hand and putting it down. "Can you go like 5 seconds without being an insufferable know-it-all?"

"He asked a question," Hermione retorted. "And I know the answer. Maybe if you actually studied, you would know it too."

Oliver held his temples. "I get a migraine every time I speak to you."