✾ 𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝟑𝟐✾

"Crowley, ready the brigade."

"But we aren't set to invade for a week, why the rush?"

"I only said that in front of the Council to throw off those human pests, I know one of them is helping them, and I'm not going to let these lesser creatures get the better of me."

"You're serious? You think we have a spy?"

"I don't just think, I know."

"So when do you plan to release the armada of zombies?"

"October 6th, it's perfect."

"That is in a mere three days, will you be ready?"

"I have been ready to kill those bastards for weeks."

"I knew you'd say something like that."

"You know me well then. Pray tell, Crowley, is there any news on Ferid's whereabouts?"

"Ah, yes, actually...we believe now that instead of running away, he may have been murdered."

"Murdered? By whom?"

"Most likely, a member of the Council, shall I run an investigation?"

"No, I will have none of that, we need our resources placed elsewhere. Plus, he was a liability, that Bathory, good riddance!"

The horrified silence of the room stifled any movement Shinoa Squad could've made. Some expected the groaning to be made from the ghost, while others, with far less imagination, knew perfectly well what made the guttural groanings in Safe Haven.

Zombies.

Behind the door, zombie upon zombie clambered their way up the stairs and banged against the doors.

"It won't be long until they figure out how to open those," someone said, but the distinctness in their voice was lost over the sound of the groaning and stomping.

"Nice going Yuu," someone else said.

"We can take em'!" They didn't need to hear the voice clearly to know it was Yuichiro's.

"No we can't, dumbass, we don't even have our cursed gears," that was probably Kimizuki.

"Should we hold the doors?" A meek voice asked.

"No, we need to go," Definitely Guren's orders.

Not needing to be told twice, the group all took off running, all of them armed by mere baseball bats or whatever else they grabbed on the way out, thinking it would be the usual in and out operation. Guren ran at the front while Shinya ran at the back, making sure no one fell behind.

Whoever said it wouldn't take long for the zombies to get through the door was right. By the time the group had gotten to another stairwell, the creaking sound of the door opening echoed through the school and then the crash of dozens of zombies falling without the weight of said door to stop them soon followed.