CHAPTER THREE

I allowed the closing notes of Bach- Cello No.5 I-prelude to wash over me until it faded out into the distance. Until the vibration from the set of strings stilled beneath my fingertips before I opened my eyes, taking in the picturesque view that was our backyard. The sun was in the process of calling it a day, gifting me with the most spectacular backdrop. Something about playing to this majestic place made me feel… at peace somehow. For a little while at least, all of my troubling thoughts and heartbreaking memories ceased to exist. My world became a place of light and hope and contentment. For a little while, all was right in the world, until the music began to fade and my crippling reality creeped in once more, ripping away the little progress I’d made to feeling emotions other than anger and grief. I bowed my head and sighed, feeling exhausted all of a sudden. After a few deep breaths, I stood up and went back inside to gently set down my cello and bow in its stand.

After we got home from Dr. Hudson two nights ago, I decided to start doing things a bit differently. I knew it would take time and that healing was a process but, I figured the sooner I made an effort to recover, the sooner I’d get fixed. And so, when I was left alone in my room that night, I tried to think of where I could start. That’s when my eye had caught the beautiful instrument that my father had worked so hard for. Both my parents loved my music, but my father had been my biggest fan. There were times when my mother would tell me to give it a rest, but Pa always encouraged me to play. Actually, he used to find any excuse there was for me to play to him and I always did. I played to him for the very last time, at his funeral. It was torturous and heartbreaking and on that day, for the first time ever, I couldn't stand the sight and sound of my cello. I didn’t even bother looking at it for months and then my mother’s death happened, which put me off everything for a while, especially since my right hand had been in pretty bad shape. So, two nights ago I'd been a bit hesitant when I picked up my bow again. Although, once I got into it and let myself get lost in the euphoria that came with playing, I was immediately hooked.

I crossed my room and was on my way to go see what Katherine was up to, when a knock at my door stopped me in my tracks.
“...Yes?” I called out hesitantly.
Nikita opened the door a bit and poked her head inside.
“Hey Kara, we were wondering if we could speak to you for just a second”
We?
I frowned but nodded my answer.
Nikita entered, followed by Matthew and Gregory. This was... Wow. Okay. I eyed the trio warily, and waited for them to explain what exactly they were doing in here. Was this like, an intervention or something? I couldn’t be sure but just to be safe, I looked around and started planning my escape. I could go to Katherine’s room, but they would follow me. Lock myself in the bathroom? That was rather juvenile and I'd have to come out at some point. The balcony had stairs that led down to the backyard, which was huge, so I’m sure there had to be hiding places somewhere. That seemed like the better option.
“Kara, we didn’t get a chance to tell you how happy we were to have you finally join us for family meals” Matthew began.
Ah, yes. I was wondering how long it would take for someone to mention that. Joining the family for meals formed part of my ‘things to do differently’ list. Ever since we got here, I’ve been asking one of the housekeepers to bring my meals up to my room instead of having it downstairs with everyone else. I knew it was really impolite and that Katherine had a point. These people gave us a place to stay— Beverly’s bitchy remarks and Amelia’s snarls aside— everyone else had been very civil and pretty polite. The least I could do was come down for meals. It was hard for me at first; it was like I couldn’t find the strength or courage to be around them all at once, or rather any other family for that matter. I guess I feared that it would just make my loss seem so much more evident.
“Anyway, recently it's come to our attention that you have quite an appreciation for classical music” Matthew went on, when I didn’t respond.
When I nodded, he smiled widely. “You’re an extremely talented young lady. Were you part of an orchestra back in South Africa, or don’t you like playing to an audience?”
Where was he going with this, I wondered briefly.
“I played for my school’s band” I shrugged.
I also took private lessons, and occasionally played with an orchestra, but I didn’t mention all that.
“That’s great, Kara” Matthew nodded “There’s something we’ve been wanting to ask you—”
“Why won’t you take any allowance from us?” Gregory interrupted.
The sudden change of topic caught me off guard, but I recovered quickly enough to answer him anyway.
“You’re not obligated to give me or my sister anything. Especially money. I don’t know why you would feel the need to”
“You’re right. We don’t need to but, we want to and you can’t accept it because, you don’t want us thinking that you and Katherine are little gold diggers”
I was taken aback by his bluntness. I could tell he wanted to say more so, Instead of answering him, I just stared and waited.
“Yes, well, we don’t think that, so you can rest easy. You girls are young, and new to this town. Eventually you’ll want to tour and have the best experience this place has to offer and you’ll need funds. Accept the money. Spend it on nice restaurants, clubs, clothes or whatever it is you youngsters do these days. But if it’ll make you feel better... you could work for it?”
“As in... manual labour?” I asked quirking a brow, which earned me a head shake and a few chuckles from Matthew and Nikita.
“I was thinking more along the lines of playing tomorrow, at Ben and Vicky’s.” Gregory nodded at my cello
“Why would I do that? I don’t even know them. I don't know anyone and no one would know who I am.”
“It’ll be on our behalf. Think of it as a favour to us.” He said.
I cursed silently, because I already knew I wouldn’t be able to say no. How could I? These people had no reason to take us in, but they had, for some reason. They’ve already done so much for us, so refusing such a small request from them just felt wrong.
“Ben and I are close friends and he's always had a great appreciation for classical music. Imagine our surprise when we found out how good you were at reciting Bach”
When I didn’t answer immediately, Matthew added; “If you do this for us, we’ll pay you—”
“No. That won't be necessary.” I said quickly. “I’ll do it”
“Baby steps” Gregory chuckled. It was the first time I've ever seen him smile. The old man was stone faced whenever I was around, which wasn't all that much, but still.
“Thank you, Kara”
I nodded and tried my best to return the smile.