CHAPTER ELEVEN

“Oh good. You're both here. We need to talk”
Katherine and I whipped our heads up to look at Amelia, who had just walked in, without knocking. My good mood dampened a bit, and I didn’t bother hiding it. Things have really been tense and awkward around the house ever since I blurted to everyone what Amelia had said to Katherine. Beverly didn’t even bother to come down for meals anymore, Blake who was usually the happy go lucky one in the family, sat quietly —which was very out of character for him and made me sick with worry—and the grown ups kept things civil, but it was obvious that they had beef. On several occasions, I tried to apologize to Nikita and Matthew for repeating what Amelia had said, but I found it almost impossible to suck up my pride. Instead, I kept justifying my actions by telling myself that it was all Amelia’s fault. No one blamed me anyway, so after a while I was able to push my guilt aside.

Amelia invited herself into my room, closing the door behind her and just stared at us for a long time. I kept my face blank and prepared myself for another verbal assault… only, it didn’t come.
“I’ve come to apologize.” She said with her chin held up high.
Katherine and I exchanged baffled glances before turning to face her again.
“Especially to you, Katherine. You’ve been nothing but lovely since the first day you arrived, so the things I said to you were really unfair. It was uncalled for and completely inconsiderate, and… I’m sorry.”
Katherine tried her best to keep her expression cold and unaffected, but I knew Amelia’s words had gotten to her. There’s no doubt that Katherine would see her apology— and the fact that she had just admitted to being wrong about her initial observation— as a kind of acceptance. When it came to Katherine, unfortunately, any kind of acceptance would be enough. I, on the other hand, was not buying into any of this bullshit.
“And Kara, I’m sorry for offending you. I was being unreasonable and cruel. I know that now.” She continued, “And I know that it will take some time for both of you to put what I said that night behind you and learn to trust me, but I hope that eventually we can all get along”
Just then, my and Katherine’s phone rang in unison.
Lola and Monroe.
It was a new thing they've been doing to signal their arrival.
Katherine cleared her throat
“Our... Our lift is here.”
“Yes, of course. Enjoy your time with your friends” Amelia said through a small hesitant smile
We grabbed our beach bags and headed towards the door that Amelia had just opened up again. Katherine paused infront of Amelia. She hesitated for about a second before closing the gap, giving Amelia a quick hug then hurrying out of the room. I sighed and shook my head slowly at her retreating figure.
Amelia looked bewildered, but when she turned to me she immediately composed herself.
“I’m not going to hug you” I said dryly.
“I know.” She nodded, her lips tugging up a little on one side of her mouth.
“Your change of heart seems rather sudden.” I couldn't help but say.
“Like I said before, what I said to the both of you was uncalled for” She cleared her throat and kicked her chin up “My son and husband might have had to talk some sense into me, but I realize now that my anger should not have been directed at you or Katherine.”
“Thanks for the apology, but you’ll have to understand that I don't believe you suddenly don’t hate us anymore. My sister seems to be fooled, but I’m not”
She chuckled and shook her head slowly “You are so much like me, Kara. A much younger and much more innocent version of me”
Now it was my turn to laugh but, unlike hers, my laugh was cold and humourless.
“I am nothing like you”
“You’re stubborn and way too proud for your own good" She said with a pointed look. "you're smart, strong willed, discerning and so loyal that you don’t care about anyone or anything other than the people who are most important to you. In your case, Katherine’s the only one left.”
On the outside, I’m sure I appeared to be calm and collected but on the inside, my heart was beating frantically. I found it rather alarming that someone like Amelia could sum me up in just a few accurate sentences. What was more alarming was the idea of me being anything like this horrible woman.
“I don’t own much of this estate. I had money when I met Gregory, but it was nothing compared to what his family had at the time.” She said suddenly, and patted her hair into place.
“And... Why are you telling me this?”
“I’m answering your question.” She replied simply. “I’m not a parasite. I married Gregory because of the man he was and still is. It was never about his money and I made that fact very clear to both him and his family.” She smiled sadly “Tell me Kara, what would you have done if your only son went away for a few months and came back with a fiancé? A woman you knew absolutely nothing about, who your son barely knew anything about? What would you do, 20 years later, when that woman admits to not only having a child that she had abandoned, but admits to trying to redeem her relationship with that child by introducing her to our world? Would you be able to just smile, and be accepting of that?” She asked rhetorically. “No. You wouldn’t. You’re smart enough to know that once trust is broken, it’s hard to earn back, and our stubborn nature makes it all the more difficult. You were right about me having issues with Nikita. I was wrong to attack you and Katherine and I'll try my best to make up for that”
Studying her face, I could see that she was earnest, but I refused to warm up to her just yet. Action, after all determines who people really were, so I guess I’d just have to wait and see what happens... If I even stuck around long enough to that.
My phone rang again, breaking our ‘moment’. I cleared my throat and started making my exit.
“Don’t forget to close the door on your way out” I muttered over my shoulder.