Chapter 3

Alex's POV

I got finished at the hospital around 8:30 pm and had headed back to the fire house to grab my things and inform my Lieutenant that I would need at least 2 weeks off for the burn on my shoulder to fully heal.

Once my stuff was gathered and I had spoken with my Lieutenant, I got into my car to head home. I looked at the clock on the dash and sighed: 9:30 pm. It was dark and I was physically and mentally exhausted from fighting the house fire and getting injured. The relieving part was that I only lived 10 minutes away from the firehouse so it wouldn't be long until I was home and in bed.

As I drove I realized that the house that had caught fire today was on my way home and that I only lived a block away from it. I was curious to see how bad the damage was.

When I turned onto the road that the house fire had been on I began slowing my car. The damage was hard to make out in the dark and I sighed telling myself I'd just have to drive by in the daylight to see. As I went to pull away a flash of something orange laying in the front yard caught my attention. I pulled my car to a stop and parked thinking that the fire guys had left a piece of equipment and I would just grab it and take it back to the station later.

As I approached the "piece of equipment" I realized it wasn't equipment at all. It was a person.

"Holy shit that's a fucking person!" I said running over and rolling them to their side. I quickly checked for a pulse and breathing, both of which I found along with the pungent smell of vomit and alcohol.  I grabbed my phone, fumbling to turn on the flashlight. Once I had gotten the flashlight on I checked the person's body for any injuries. Finding none I turned the light to their face and as the light hit their closed eyes they flinched and reached to cover their eyes. It was then that I truly look at the person and figured out who it was.

"OH my God, Noah!