6 - Friends?

Percy

I didn't know what to do. Annabeth was standing right there. I didn't know whether to hug her, or take a headache pill. Maybe I was hallucinating.

"Yeah, that's me. It's been a while, huh."

"I can't believe our luck," I muttered. Annabeth smiled. If I hadn't been holding a ton of books, I would've seriously hugged her.

"Yeah. What a chance."

"What happened? Why didn't you show the next summer?" I asked. She had left me heartbroken.

Annabeth looked down. "It's complicated, Percy. I never forgot. Why are you here?"

I smiled. "If you get to keep your secrets, I'll keep mine. That is, until we get to know each other better."

"Yeah. And this time, we need to be smart and exchange numbers," she joked. Yeah, we were so stupid. I quickly got her number, but she didn't have time to get mine.

Our time was over because the bell rang, indicating the end of the day. Annabeth headed off for her locker, and I went to mine.

* * *

Okay, even though we used to good friends, I didn't know how to talk to her. In the end, I texted her instead.

Hey wise girl. IM UR WORST MIGHTNARE

She replied a minute later.

U spelled nightmare wrong, seaweed brain.

Oh, yeah. Annabeth didn't know I was dyslexic.

Don't jubge me, peasant

But I didn't get a text back. Instead, she called me.

"Hello," I answered.

"You're such an idiot," Annabeth teased. I grinned.

"Well, it's not everyday you reunite with your close friend. A guy makes mistakes!"

"Yeah, yeah. I'm surprised your even in high school. You're such a seaweed brain."

"Well, at least... at least... goddammit I can't think of anything," I groaned.

"I'm perfect, aren't I?"

"Yeah, whatever you say, My Queen."

Annabeth giggled. I'd never, ever heard her giggle before. Not even those years ago.

"PERCY!" Gabe, my step dad, called.

"Annabeth, I gotta go. I'll see you tomorrow."

"Bye," she said, hanging up. I went to the living room, where Gabe was sitting with a ton of poker buddies.

"Get me some beer, kid," Gabe spat. I glared in his direction.

"Get it yourself, Pop," I said. He made me end my call for this?

"What did you say? Don't make me get up, boy!"

I was seething with anger. But I knew not to cross Gabe. Well, not cross him too much. I grabbed a beer from the fridge and threw it at him. He caught it and turned back to his poker buddies.

* * *

The next day, Jason Grace threw a paper at each of us.

"What's this?" Frank Zhang asked. We all unfolded the paper we got.

"One of my friends on the lacrosse team invited me to a party. I got all of you invites."

"Why?" Annabeth asked, looking up from her book. Even though we were friends, she perfered books over me. I wondered if I could change that.

"I hate the Josh, but he's the captain. And he already disapproves of me sitting with you guys instead of them. You guys are much better."

"I'll go," I volunteered. Jason threw me a happy grin.

"Me too," Thalia joined. "And that means Annie is going, too."

"Okay," Annabeth shrugged. I smiled. I knew Annabeth saw it out of the corner of her eye.

"Hey!" Thalia called. Annabeth and I looked over.

"What's with the glances? Are we missing something?" Piper asked.

Annabeth and I blushed madly.

"No," Annabeth said defensively.

"Liiierrrr," Thalia sang.

"Percabeth!" Hazel Levesque joined in.

"Yes!" Piper chirped.

"You guys are so immature!" Annabeth death-glared them into silence.

"What she said," I joined in, slightly smiling.

But, was Annabeth really against the idea of dating me?