Crimson Sword

"Come in." A voice sounded from the speaker in front of the gate that produced a certain metallic click, indicating that the lock had been opened.

The armored gate led to the summit of a hill.

The ridge where a certain Cathedral is known for housing some deadly revenants, and most importantly, the Crimson Sword himself.

Kyle wordlessly entered the property and walked up the old stone stairs beside the road. Tire tracks clearly visible on them.

Normally, any run-of-the-mill revenant who knows about this place would be scared shitless. But this time was different for Kyle.

Named revenants like the Crimson Sword used to be more common a few years ago.

After the Queen Slayer operation, the government, also known as Cerberus, suffered plenty of losses. Everyone did. Even after the whole ordeal, a bloody mist surrounded the city, blocking outside communication, and the miasma didn't stop spreading, not even after defeating the Queen.

And It was up to the provisional government to deal with the aftermath. Limited resources made them reunite as their branches outside the main military complex began to be overrun by the unending lost or frenzy-inducing miasma.

Cerberus was losing some of its grasp on the city's order as it had no other option but to gather around its base and leave certain parts of the city alone. Thus, security became somewhat lax outside of their settlement.

Some revenants had to be let go as the blood spring dried. Others just woke up in the ruined world they had no recollection of as they were in their dormant states, seemingly being forgotten and left behind as unnecessary luggage. And some even deserted from Cerberus either for personal reasons or still sought a battlefield.

Many things can happen to the mind once given a semi-immortal body, a belief in their absolute power or loss of self can greatly affect a person.

Many of these revenants spread outside of the government's territory. Unwilling to be ruled by them.

They fought with each other and stole others' resources constantly. During this time, a young man with agile swordsmanship and fire blood code rapidly made a name for himself.

The Crimson Blade was considered a lunatic as he seemingly fought other named revenants without even any provocation. And when he finally settled down and claimed an area for himself, it quickly turned to hell once the people who held a grudge came to pay a visit.

Literally.

Fire surrounded the Cathedral, using his blood code to its best abilities for crowd control. As for what happened to those revenants, only Louis knows as they had either forgotten or were too afraid to say anything.

But that was a small event in the grand scheme of things.

Cerberus did come up with a bounty system for the revenants who earned a name for themselves, a system that still stands today. Be it for their tyranny or cruelty, none of them really had a good reputation.

Oddly enough, this didn't seem to upset most revenants. Many ended up helping the situation as they could not only fight against their suppressors but also be rewarded by Cerberus. Others simply sought the chaos and went for the named revenants, even if they had a bounty on themselves. As if seeing it like a sign of strength the higher the reward.

However, there are always a few people who are too hungry for power and hold ambitions too high for their own good. But those few knew better than to succumb to greed, they abided their time to strike...

Cerberus finally acting outside of its territory meant that they had gained some stability. But it wasn't just that. The government wasn't just idly standing by all those years, letting hell break loose.